• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding query....think we're sorted

Ok, little bit of background before I get to the question

Daisy and Maisie and Taz are mother and babies. I seperated the babies from mum at 7 weeks because she was attacking them, really biting and clawing. Daisy has now been spayed (1 month ago) and I have been bonding her back with Maisie as I have to seperate the two babies (boy and girl). Taz is going to come inside as a house bunny over the winter.

Daisy and Maisie were together in my bathroom (the only neutral territory) all morning. A few scuffles, mainly Maisie running away from Daisy. Daisy was having a little sniff and an occasional nip, (not a bite). I took them both for a ride in the car, they were fine in the carrier together, not a nip or scuffle or anything.
I bought a new hutch so that I dont have to put them back into a hutch one of them thinks of as their own. Since I have put them in the hutch together Maisie is sitting quiet in the corner, Daisy has chinned all around, presumably marking the territory. There have been about 4/5 episodes where Daisy is nudging at Maisie, I dont think she is biting, but pulling her fur at bit. Maisie then runs away (obviously limited in the hutch) after a minute or so of running round they both lie down and seem ok again.

OK, sorry its taken so long, the question is, is this OK, I'm guessing I should leave them to get the relationship rules sorted out, but after her previous behaviour I am worried that Daisy will hurt Maisie. They are outside in the shed, so I cant watch them overnight, so far I hvae just been watching from the kitchen window.

Please, Phill, Adele, Eve anyone with lots of bunny bonding experience, can you tell me what to do :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sallypie! Right oh lady! Are they in the shed now? and can you leave them in there with open space overnight? If so i would do that. it sounds at the mo that they are just sorting out whos boss and it would appear that it's going to be Daisy as Maisie is letting her asert her authority! if you can Sally leave them in the shed overnight (not inthe hutch) and see what you have in the morning.

I also use my bathroom as neutral territory for bonding. I like to leave them in there for a day or two or at least until I see them grooming each other.
I had a very bad incident when I didn't wait long enough so I really think this is important. I like to be able to hear if there is any banging going on. Also if I go out during the first few days I take them with me unless there is someone to keep an eye or at least an ear on them, and who can separate them if neccesary. Extra carrier sessions don't hurt and can help get them close to eachother and is often the first place I see a pair groom eachother.

I don't know how big your new hutch is but I think the more space they have the better things are going to be..... if the feel they can't get away from each other should they want to ... things could turn nasty!

I think bonding should ideally take place in a room of some sort, kitchen bathroom, living room where they can have there own space .... Im not having a go here honestly .... but I think a hutch is to small a place to be bonding three buns ...

Good luck let us know how you get on xx

oooppssssss

just read your post ... so is the hutch in the shed? Can they get in and out of the hutch as they please? Do they have full access to the rest of the shed??

If the answers are yes I think they should be ok as long as they are not confined to the hutch :D

5cutebunnies said:
oooppssssss

just read your post ... so is the hutch in the shed? Can they get in and out of the hutch as they please? Do they have full access to the rest of the shed??

If the answers are yes I think they should be ok as long as they are not confined to the hutch :D

yes, the hutch is inside the shed, they can get in and out as they please. There are also 2 tunnels, one of which Daisy cant fit into, so Maisie can get out of her way if she needs to!! They seem to be getting on OK, have been together all day. I have seen Daisy giving Maisie a lick, so they are getting there :)

btw there are just 2 bunnies being bonded, Daisy and Maisie, Taz is livning a life of luxury as a house bun :lol:

incidentally (sp) talking about the hutch, I was very impressed that when the woman at P&H found out I was planning to use it for 2 buns, she actually said, no it wasn't suitable as 2 buns need extra space to run about. When I told her it was only sleeping accomodation as they have the run of the shed and an outside run, she said that was a good idea and she would recommend it to others :D

I also heard her tell another woman not to buy a bun and a piggie as they sometimes fight (tho they were all in the same area in the shop :( )

so there's hope after all.

Wow a member of of staff that knows what they are talking about :roll: thats a novelty!

I know when we were looking at hutches in there a women came and started to spout at us about having a run for the buns and went on to say they had a good selction ..... my daughter turned and said "we have a run already and its far better than any in here its 10x8" the women soon went away and left us alone :wink: :lol:

OK, been down this morning. They are both fine, checked Maisie thoroughly, no bite marks or anything, and her fur looks reasonably intact :)
They weren't together when I went in, but I obviously can't tell if they have been overnight......mmmm could do with a bunnycam :lol:

I shall leave them in the shed again today, not going to be able to take them on another drive as I have harvest festivals to attend at the boys schools. Hopefully they have settled down by now.

any other suggetions gratefully received :D

Well I had to go back to P&H cos when I bought the hutch yesterday they forgot to give me the free starter pack of goodies, now since the store is 15 miles away it proablly cost as much in petrol as what the stuff was worth (well, at least I have a spare water bottle and dish now,whcih are always handy!) mind you it was an excuse to take the pair of them off on another bonding car journey. After about 10 mins they were snuggled up next to each other happy as can be. So with a bit of luck that's them sorted!! Do you think I should leave them to run about in the shed again tonight, or will they be ok in the hutch?? Its just that we do have foxes, and although the shed is latched I normally like to put them securely in the hutches overnight just in case...

sorry for being paranoid, but Bunny and Flossie took to each other right away, so I have never had to worry before :shock:

5cutebunnies said:
Cant you put a pad lock on the shed to keep that door shut tight?

It sounds as things are going well for your buns :D

I'm paranoid that if I lock them up and there is a fire or anything I wont be able to get them out :cry: :cry:

I sound like a right worry bags dont I :lol: :lol: :lol:

They have been together in the shed/hutch for 2 days now, and all seems well. Maisie is still a bit wary of Daisy, Daisy seems to be fine with her, she was grooming her for about 10 mins this morning......Maisie had a look on her face which said "leave off mother!!"

tupperwarequeen said:
I'm paranoid that if I lock them up and there is a fire or anything I wont be able to get them out :cry: :cry:

I put a proper latch lock on mine with a key, and I leave the key in the lock. That way if there is a fire, I can easily unlock the door without having to fumble around, but I'd be extremely surprised if a fox could turn a high lock 360 degrees to open the door.

Back