• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

help questions about soon to get minilop pair

babylops

Young Bun
Hello,

I am new to this site and was wondering if one of you rabbit experts could answer one or any of my questions.

I live in Massachusetts (cold winters) and am getting 2 mini lop rabbits the first week of dec. They will be about 8 weeks old. I was wondering what is best based on temerment, behavior, bonding (between each other and with their owner), and their actions. 2 unfixed does or 2 unfixed males. And why. Also which is better 2 fixed males, 2 unfixed does , or 1 unfixed male and 1 unfixed doe. Also how young can bunnies have babies and can (and will)they have them in cold weather(New England winter) i am tryig to advoid
re-introducing them. Because if I get a male and female then based on your answer to how soon they can have babies I would have to sepperate them untill I could get them fixed. How young can you get them fixed?

...I was originaly going to get two females. Would this work fixed and or not fixed?

The breeder I am getting my bunnies from said that she lets people take them home as young as 6-7 weeks old. Is this too young? Also the breeder says that it will not be hard to introduce a 8 and 9 week old. Is this true? I dont want them not to get along, this is why I wanted them to come from the same litter however if there arnt the sex I want in the same litter she said the bonding wouldn't be difficult.

How much should I handle them when I fist get them. And anything you think I should do to my them feel at home.

I am going to keep them in a cage under my enclosed deck during the winter. I was wondering if it would be too much of a temp. change if I took them inside during the winter for a few hours. Also can they play in the snow?

Should I get straw to keep them warm during the winter or can I just get hay for them to eat and for bedding. What kind of hay and pellets should I get and how much do I feed them daily. Do I feed twice a day? Do I need shavings? How much fruits and veggies should I feed them daily? Any foods young rabbits shouldnt have and when can they start having them.?

Is it possible and if so how can I introduce my cat( about 4 1/2-5yrs.) to my rabbits. I know I should not leave them un-supervised.

I think that is all for now, thanks for all your help. I know I have alot of questions but I want to make a good home for these animals. Thanks so much!

~Erin~

hello nd welcome :wave: 6/7weeks is too young i would wate untill 8 weeks as for pairs brothers can live together b ut will need nutering ats soon as there bits drop around 12 weeks as can sisters agine i would say spay both if done at the same time they should be ok and will tke confort from each other as they recover

for the fist 24 hours leave them to settle down on there own as leaving mum is a fritning experance

as for straw some do some dont i just give extra hay i use medow hay for my 6 brought buy the bale

pellets do you know what they have now as the breader should give you some for the first week as for whats bestover here its eathe since selective or alen and page

vege i would wate untill 12weeks to 6 mounths then add 1 vege every 2 weeks and just a very small amount to begin withn 1/2 inch or a thumb peace each start with carrot

as for cats mine are happy to sit and watch the buns

Back