• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I feel so bad!

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
I had to use some mite shampoo today on Charlie and Honey. I put one at a time in the bath tub and used the shower to rinse it off. Both of them was slipping about as they was trying to get out :(

I dried them off the best i could with a towl and a hairdryer. Charlie was okay as his fur isn't as thick as Honey's. Honey was alittle damp but i thought she would be ok. I put them both in the hutch together.

I came home and found Honey slumped in the corner i knew something was up. She was standing on her legs so the vet thought that she might of pulled something whilst in the bath. Also where she had been put out being damp she was frreeezzing! I feel so bad.

She's spending tonight inside with me, she's all wrapped up at the moment :(

Don't feel tooo bad, it happens, at least you took her to the vets and she's going to be fine :)

You took her to the vets and that is the main thing. She will be fine but she just has to settle properly.
I would advise against shampooing her - for mites you can get spot on treatments or the vet can give a course of Ivermectin injections. If you don't want to go down that route you can get some Dyna-Mite and make up a spray and that will help.
Keep a close eye on her and make sure that she is warm and comfy. If she still seems to be in any pain or discomfort tomorrow then take her back to the vets incase she needs more pain meds or a steriod to take any swelling down.
Snuggles to her, tell her she's a brave girl - xxxxx

Do cahrlie and \honey usually live together as a bonded pair? If so you need to bring charlie in to so they can stay together :D

i agree you ought to keep them together if they are bonded and theyll keep each other warm.
dont feel too bad we all make mistakes at some time.
hope shes ok
Angie

Aww thanks everyone!

Hi Jaypot- I was using the spot on cream but wasn't working too well so the vet gave me the shampoo today, i wasn't too keen to use it as i know it stressed them out. They are having the injections starting on Thursday for the mites.

I have brought Charlie in too so i can put them together tonight so they can snuggle and keep warm :)

Many thanks xx

Hi,

When i have had to do this I put an old bath towel in the bottom of the bath and it gives them better footing and less likely to slip.

I also use a hair dryer on low to get the worst off and keep them in for 24 hours until nearly dry.

It's not easy and the more people you have to help you the better.

Hope all is well

Maureen

Poor Honey, but try not to feel too bad I'm sure she's forgotten it now.

On Saturday I was putting more hay into Snubs sleeping compartment, he had literally only just ran into his bedroom from the main section. I opened the door and he was lying right against the door and fell out! I felt so guilty about it because he looked so shocked! I beat myself up about it all weekend but I'm hoping he's forgotten now or forgiven me at least!

Putting one of those rubber anti-slip mats in the bath helps. Some buns have to be bathed if they have a chronic skin condition. Dont beat yourself up. You have done all the right things to ensure your bun is going to be ok. JCO x

Its a good idea if you rearly have to bath your rabbit or pig to keep them indoors overnight. most people just dont realize how long it takes to dry out there coats. A lesson learnt :D . val

aww thanks everyone for that! Thats a good idea about using something in the bath for them not to slip on, i didn't think of that.

Yes i have certainly learnt a lesson there and gained some knowledge. Honey is doing fine...back to her normal self!

x

Back