• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Paint and Varnish

melaniejb

Mama Doe
Hi!

I'm wondering if anyone can help me...

We will soon be getting our fisrt two house rabbits and at the moment are doing all the preparations (OMG there is a lot to do!!!). We have bought a lovely big hutch which will be kept in the study. I was doing some research yesterday and I came across an article which said that it was best for the insides of hutches to be painted with a non toxic glossy paint or varnish to help prevent wee seeping into the wood and making it smell.

I went to a couple of DIY stores today and they said that they didn't stock any non toxic paint or varnish. I've read on this forum a few brands but can only order those online, the problem with this is that I want to get it done quickly so I can get my lovely new buns as soon as they are ready (I'm very excited and getting slightly impatient!)! I was wondering whether people thought that it may be safe to use regular gloss or varnish, bearing in mind that it will be covered with newspaper and bedding etc...

Sorry to blabber on a bit, I thank you in anticipation...

Melanie

Plenty of Newspaper and Sawdust should help prevent the seepage, and also cleaning when neccessary. Sorry this is not much help.

You could also use an offcut of lino to line the bottom of the hutch, just fold up the edges so they go up the wall as much as you think necessary, as buns can spray upwards!

Hoorah!

I've had a brain wave :idea: ! I was wondering around a DIY store trying to find lino for our hutch floor protection and I came across sticky back plastic for windows! I've just covered the floor and walls with it and was worried that it wouldn't stick to the wood but amazingly, it does! :D

Just thought I'd share it with you all and I'll let you know if it works!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Melanie

Back