• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

keeping bunny warm

jessica

New Kit
bit concerned about keeping bunny warm this winter in outside hutch as my other bunny died two weeks ago and my dwarf will have noboby to snuggle up to this winter....always put plenty of hay in hutch for warmth but was thinking of waterproof thermal blanket to pop over hutch when extremely cold....does anyone think this is a good idea of does anyone have any good tips

how about getting him another friend? if he is used to company i am sure he will appreciate a new mate!

I have only had Alfie since July so haven't had a winter with him yet, but i intend to get a thick blanket and put taupauline over the top. At the moment he just has taupauline as its still quite mild, i also have a heat pad lots of hay.

Make sure your hutch is free from drafts and leaks!

I'd definitely recommend getting a friend for your bunny. if you look on rabbit rehome, I'm sure you'll find a lovely companion for your bun.

Acover of some sort to keep the cold wind out at night, not to tightly fitting or humidity will build up. As well as that loads of straw in there bed, athough if there anything like mine there bed is there tiolet :roll: . Rabbits are very hardy. A little drop of veggie oil in the water bottle will stop the bottle freezing. PS, did you all hear is going to be a bad winter this year. val :(

taylor v 109 said:
PS, did you all hear is going to be a bad winter this year. val :(

No I didn't hear that :shock: Any idea what sort of bad - cold, wind, snow, all of the above?

jessica said:
bit concerned about keeping bunny warm this winter in outside hutch as my other bunny died two weeks ago and my dwarf will have noboby to snuggle up to this winter....always put plenty of hay in hutch for warmth but was thinking of waterproof thermal blanket to pop over hutch when extremely cold....does anyone think this is a good idea of does anyone have any good tips

In the winter I cover my rabbits up with a thick waterproof cover and if I know it's going to freeze add a blanket over the front of their hutch as well. Mine have never minded the cold as long as I give them extra bedding! :lol: :lol:

Val

There have been suggestions that this will be a winter will be comparable with the winter of 1966, thick snow in central London .... on the news they suggested everyone should start getting prepared.

I am just off to buy snow shoes for all the animals and myself :lol:

Janice

oh my so heating in the shead this year for my buns dont want them to get frozen but dont some buns like snow?

Yes some like a run in the snow.

snow.jpg

On the same subject, We have a Hutch Hugger and Snuggle over Hutch, just wanted to know has anyone else used these products, and what do people think about them.

BUBBLES said:
On the same subject, We have a Hutch Hugger and Snuggle over Hutch, just wanted to know has anyone else used these products, and what do people think about them.
I've just bought a couple of Hutch Huggers but without the shiny inset (even then it was £106 for the 2) :shock: I'm not sure that they are totally waterproof. I'm going to try and get some insulating roofing stuff from a DIY place and put that under the hutch hugger as a cheaper version of their custom made stuff.

Yes there recon on snow this year, i still wont be using heating though i rearly dont think they need it. Mine are in sheds and that keeps a couple of degrees warmer than outside, will be putting a drop of veggie oil in my water bottles though :lol: .In the past going back a few years to bad winters i used to pile high the gages with bedding only to find they never went in there :lol: . If it does get that bad i will bring in my piggies though, depending on how cold. val

Back