• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Velvets PM results

Phill

Wise Old Thumper
Ok Velvets pm results are back. It is some kind of enteritis, but my vets thought it was VHD as her liver is very pale and marked. they need to do lots more tests and cultures on her stomach and bowels to find out what kind of enteritis and how on earth the buns got it and how we can treat the rest. But i am just glad that it wasn't VHD! So we shall wait and see what the other tests bring in.

The lab and my vets think it is very likely that Ivy and Agi died from it. As Agi had no symptoms and she never had a smelly bum so i could never understand the flys going for her. We now think that Agi had this bug and the flys got het then as when i found her there were maggots but not that many, i have seen rabbits with worse that have survived. It's a puzzeler?? we will unfortunatly never know about Agi but it is a reasonable explantion as to why i have lost 3 buns in 3 weeks all 7 days apart and all from the same family. We don't think at the moment that it can jump to the others were hopeing that to catch it they need contact with the rabbit that has it and that has got us wondering how on earth they have got it in the first place!

OMG you don't have much look do you? I've never heard of enteritis, so I've no idea what it is. You're vet is a bit naff, can't beleive it's taken three deaths before they come up with the reason. Big hugsxxxx

Enteritis is just a general term for inflamation in the gut. As Phill says they need to work out exactly what form on enteritis it is :(

Atleast that rules out the VHD :)

Yes, it's good that it's not VHD, because that transmits easily, and they were quick getting the results back to you.

Do you know how long it will be before you get the results of the additional tests? I hope they know just what to do when they have those results.
xx

SOAD said:
ah I see, what type gut problems could it be? Just like tummy bugs?

It could be all sorts! we just wont know much else until the other tests come back. But as Tamsin says it rules out VHD which is a plus. You also have to remember SOAD that i never took Agi for a PM she was dead when i found her and i put it down to Flystrike as that was the only thing i could see wrong with her, and Ivy just had a basic pm done at my vets Velvet has had a whole range of stuff done at the Lab it's costing a fortune but im having it done.

Well, I'm glad it's not VHD. I think you're being very brave and exceptionally caring to go through all of this.

fingers and everything else crossed for you hun, this sounds a little more positive, lets hope it cant spread beyond the one group that were affected

I'm sure it wont take them long to find out what it is and you'll be bug free (lol or whatever it is, soz my ognorance is showing) in no time. :D

Hopefully SOAD! And yeh we are assuming that it can't spread unless contact is made with an infected bunny!

I am so glad that the results have come back showing it isn't VHD, and at least they have come through quicker than they thought they would. hope the other results come through just as quick so you can get the others on the treatment necessary.I have to say this for you Phill at least no one could ever knock you for the care and quickness you show to your buns when a incident like this is set upon you. You are def a super bunny mum in my books.
Love
Kayxx

Back