• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

:cry: baby need op, life threatening. :cry:

bunnymad

Warren Scout
:cry: I have a baby Enderby Island bun since sat. I knew he had no ear and that he was a orphan since about 5 weeks old.

I went to the vet today as I have no meds for him.

sobs, here goes. His ear got Chewn off as a baby to the head.(now about 8 weeks old). Pus has been coming out and they have been pushing it out and putting powder on it.

The vet said that the middle ear has an infection and he could feel it. I have 2 choices. The only way for him to live is to have an op to clean all the pus out and see what its like once on the table. The other is to have him put down as it will sooner or later reach his inner ear which is in his brain and will kill him.

His is fine, eating like a horse and bouncing around like a normal bun.

Has anyone had a bun like this and its lived after the op?

thanks

bronie

Alot of ppl have said to put him down.

There is a 50 to 70 percent chance he will lead a normal life after the op (not cheap!)

His is a rare breed bun. Oh I don`t wont to play god with his life.

:cry: Nor do I wont to leave him to see if he does die naturally.

:cry: bronie :cry:

:cry: I understand your predicament.

I have a rabbit with molar malocclusion that will have to be PTS once her molars get too long (so the vet says)

The other option is an operation that I cannot afford - to remove her molars and then subsequently continue to do so each time they grow back. :?

I'd say, that if the bunny seems happy and not at all ill, that if you could get the vet to let you pay in instalments, and if there is likely to be a good outcome for bun, then get it done.

If you can't afford it, then fair enough, it's kinder to PTS bunny, and its certainly not your fault to have to make that decision.

Good luck

P.S Australian bunny lover here, so just across the sea from u ;)

id say if there is a chance thebun will get better then go for it i know its a lot of money but buns has to come first hope all goes well what evver you decide

Has anyone had a bun have an op to get rid of pus?

Any hints and tips would be great on how to care for him after wards:)

bronie

Hi Bronie

I will PM you the name of a rabbit email list in Australia that might have some ideas that could be helpful.

8)

Bronie

Your little rabbit has had a hard start in life and hasnt had its mum around for as long as it needed her.
If it is the right size for its age and eating well then perhaps being orphaned has had no ill effect.
On the other hand a baby rabbit is very small and even a visit to the vet is a daunting prospect. Surgery and a possible spread to the brain will be a lot for such a small thing to cope with.
Everybody on this forum loves rabbits but sometimes the kinder option is to choose a peaceful end with no more pain.
Best wishes
Louisa

Doesn 't Manuka honey help to get rid of pus? I presume this pus in the bunny's ear must be some kind of abscess?

Hes in no pain. As he has no ear left at all, all the pu is coming from a tiny tiny hole left behind. The pus is coming from the ear canal. its this that needs to be removed before it does become a problem.

bronie

Bronie,

You say he's in no pain, bouncing round like a normal bun and eating like a horse? Well............. nNobody can say what you should do, because everybody's situation is different, but I know that I'd give him every chance I could to carry on that way, no matter what it cost, and love him with everything I had for however long he's got.

I'm sorry I've no experience of this, so can't give any real advice, but just wanted to give you some support.
xx

Thanks for the support everyone. huggles:)

I have had many breeders here saying the $$ involved is too much and the bun isn`t worth it. sigh

But others have said go for it and do what you can.

The vet said he would be feeling discomfort but I`m doing the right thing feeding him parsley and dandelion along with other greens:)

I see him as a active growing stronger everyday with his new diet ;) He was on hay and pellets before i got him, as most ppl say do not give anything else to buns under the age of 12 weeks. I still wonder why ppl say and do that! he hasn`t had the runs or anything since having grass, and greens added to his diet.

Tomorrow afternoon I have to ring the vets again as the vet I was specking to wonted to talk this case over which a more bunny wise partner:) Whom i would also like to be there during the op as he fixed all 3 of my buns.

Thanks again for all your supportive words:)

bronie

Aaaw Bronie - don't listen to those breeders - nobody can put a price on a bunny's health, or life. I (and many other people on this board I think) would give everything they own to make life ok for their bunsters.

It's great to hear that your vet is talking it over with a more bunny wise partner. Good luck with the call tomorrow, and do let us know how you get along.
xx

one eared bunny

Hi bunnymad :) my little girly Flora only has one ear (she is one of 2 sisters that i took as a rescue from a breeder b/c their ears had been bitten off) :( I have to clean it out every day as otherwise it would close up & pus would form in the canal as has happened with your bunny :( I would speak to your vet again as although he is young for surgery i see no reason to PTS :( he can have a noormal life :) Flora is 5 now & she has no problems :(

Hi bunnymad,

Poor little Enderby Island by the sounds of it I'm sure he's had a pretty tough life so far. The main risk to a bunny during the operation comes from the anaesthetic (just like with humans) regardless of the procedure itself. The risk can be increased for certain procedures, if they take longer for example than more routine ops, other factors can increase the risk, for example if the bunny is obese, etc.

(I'm a Risk Manger in the health service so tend to risk assess everything!)

I would say the odds of 50 to 70 % of a normal life following the operation are actually not too bad considering the injury he has had and the disability it has left him with. I personally would go for it and don't think that there is a price that can be put on life no matter how small a life it is. But I understand that these things can be very costly and sometimes the money just isn't there to pay for it.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

if you can find the money i would go for it.

so sorry you re faced with this its awful holding a little ones life in your hand.

good luck .

Angie

Back