• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mabel is acting strange - please help

MissB

Young Bun
I just went to say goodnight to Mabel and found her lying in her litter tray (she never does that).
Then I opened the hutch and she hopped into her sleeping quarters (again she never does that she always goes a bit mad and wants to jump out).

What could be wrong?
What should I do?

She is not excepting any food or tempting treats. I am beside myself.

Any advice please..

I know it is late, I wish I could get to a vets.

Is she pooing and peeing OK? Grinding teeth? can you pick her up and give her a wee feel..rumbling tum??? not sure what it could be :shock:

She is tooth grinding, tummy rumbling.

She let me hold her then got restless. Her stomach doesn't feel hard.

Don't know when she last pooed and weed but she was fine this afternoon. This has suddendly come on.

She has been moulting a lot latley so that could be a problem.

I think it could be stasis or gas. I'll have to get someone to take her to vet in the morning. I have got work but at the moment I can't leave her :-(

Have you got any Infacol? If so then give her 2mls right away and some gentle tummy rubs - repeat in one hour - after that, give her 1ml of Infacol each hour.
If you have an all night Tesco or something by you you could get some Infacol there.
If not and you have no Infacol then try gentle tummy massages and tempt her with her favourite foods.
Hope that everything is alright with her - sending lots of healing vibes to her.

I tried the tummy rubbing but she wasn't happy with that and just wanted to be left alone.

So I filled her cage with all her favourite foods, a heat pad and some Avipro in her water and went to bed.

It was a horrible night and I went down stairs this morning expecting the worst.

I am THRILLED to say she was sitting in the usual place and started getting excited and humming as soon as the door opened. All the the food is gone and there are poops in the tray!! HOORAY!!

Thanks to those who have showed concern- much appreciated!

That's great news! :D Might be worth getting some Infacol in, for the future just in case you have the same problems again. It really is a great standby until you can get to a vet.

What is infacol? Isn't it for babies?

I definitely will be updating my bunny first aid kit!

Popped home at lunchtime to check on her and she is back to her frisky self!

I was like a mad woman last night, I sent my man out at 12am to get pineapple juice as I've heard it can help, he came back with a whole pineapple!!

He rang me from work this morning and said we are not allowed dogs or kids as we can't cope with the stress!

Infacol is a treatment for infant colic and griping pain which can assist in bringing up wind and alleviate distress in babies. It is sold in most large supermarkets which have pharmacy sections and all chemists.

Janice

Back