• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit toe nail color

Happy Hopping

Wise Old Thumper
My last few rabbits (all Flemish Giant), their toe nail color is ivory. My current rabbit, also a Flemish Giant, her toe nail color is black. How come? Is it because she is only a few mth. old?

I depends on the colour of the rabbit. Dark furred rabbits usually have dark toe nails, light coloured white :)

As tamsin says dark coloured rabbits are supposed to have all dark nails and white rabbits or rabbits with white feet like the dutch are supposed to have clear nails This very much applies to showing were you would be dissqualifyed for the wrong coloured nails even one. val

Zeus has all dark nails (being a dark bunny) as does Cosmos, Violet's are pale coloured and Athena's are pale. Gizmo the GP had a mixture of light and dark nails!

Caz

My little Mini is a Sandy color. But so is my first and seond rabbit. It's been over 4.5 yr., but I'm almost certain the 1st sandy color rabbit, that it's nail color is light enough to see the blood vain.

It's been a long time, but I think w/ that first rabbit, the base and middle part is dark color but the ending part of the nail (the sharp part) is lighter. Light enough for me to see the blood vain when I cut it.

I don't know, I could be wrong as it is so long ago.

That's weird, because Miles has light nails and Miffy has dark - it should technically be the other way around! China and Rocket's are both light coloured.

AMETHYST

Feena is blue, like Caz's Violet, and also has light nails, Conny is smoke pearl (a bit like Miffy, I think) and has very dark nails, Angel is also smoke pearl but her nails on the outside of her paws are dark and the middle ones are very light (to match her fur colour), Murray's are fairly dark like him. Are some colours, like blue and pearl, less likely to fall into the norm?

I cut their nails today and noticed that Murray has some sort of scaling on a few of his nails. Could this be a fungal infection? Has anybody else seen this?

I know my guing pig nails match her fur on either side of her body. One side is mainly white and her nails are clear ... her otherside is mainly black and her nails are black.

Bramble bun is black and has black nails ... all the other buns nails are clear in colour :D

Amethyst said:
That's weird, because Miles has light nails and Miffy has dark - it should technically be the other way around! China and Rocket's are both light coloured.

AMETHYST

You think it could be their parent fur, one is dark and the other is light, so the genes of the offspring just pickup the "wrong" color?

I know rabbit fur color is determined by their parents, so I don't know if the same thing applies to their nail color.

Back