• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Especialy for rescues-we ve split them up

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
here at Barnsley animal rescue we dont keep buns and piggies together but.... today we have had a piggie and bun brought in together. they have been together for almost a year and are both huddled together for comfort as they are both very upset by the move.
we dont know what to do . they are obviously taking comfort from each other at the moment and we feel cruel thinking of causing more distress by splitting them but with all the problems of keeping them together that doesnt seem right either.

any advice please
Angie

hi

If they are together I always leave them like that and won't split them as they are used to each others company

If there are no problems with them just now, I'd leave them together too. They need each other at the moment, and you can keep an eye out for any bullying although I don't think there will be, as Elaine said, they are used to each other.

what about their food . the person who brought them in has been just feeding piggy food. we have seperate food for buns and piggies.

Could you leave them together for a week till they settle and then find them new friends of their own species?

we d thought of that estelle but havnt got a piggie to put with her only got an old male (that sounds awful hes lovely) no females. pairing the bun wouldnt be so hard but the poor little girlie piggie would be lonely

If I get any that come in as pairs I do rehome them together as they do pine for each other but make sure the new owner provides lots of places guineas can have to call their own, say tubes houses etc and I make sure they feed guinea pig food and give greens and use the viatmin c tablets from big supermarkets, as I say why upset a happy pairing as I have known guineas pine for a rabbit when removed.

Don't get me wrong I don't approve of this kind of pairing but if it already there why change it

At ARC we would leave them together for a few days to allow them to settle in, then separate them, however ensuring that we can immediatly repair them up with someone of their own type. We do often seek the help of other resuces to find a workable partner for the piggie if we ourselves have nothing suitable. We would only split them when we have someone suitable to pair up with both of them.

I would not risk rehoming them together as we have now had 4 piggies in this year with broken limbs as a result of living with a rabbit.

Janice

they are both very thin and are devouring everything in sight . keeping a close eye cos think bunny might be taking more than her fair share.
Angie

I agree with Janice. Whenever I have had piggies and rabbits in together I have left them for a few days to settle in, then I have paired them with one of their own kin. It can be really hard to do in the short term as you feel so guilty, however I do get concerned that if the bunny has not been around other rabbits before, and then suddenly smells or sees them will this make the bunny decide to try and mate with the piggy, particularly if bun is not neutered. More often than not buns coming here are not neutered or even vaccinated.

Alice

no the buns not neuotored yet. will get her done as soon as shes settled and put on a bit of weight . shes a lovely thing and settling in well. she only has one eye as the other was damaged by the owners cat and she had to have it removed (before she came to us) dont think the bun will miss piggie but piggie would miss bun cos she keeps snuggling up to her . got no female piggies to put her with at mo.

It's a pity you arn't nearer me, whilst I don't have many piggies about at the moment, I have a couple of female piggies and a number of neutered males here. I could have sorted her out with a friend.

Janice

i wish we were nearer that would have been great. we only have one other piggie in at the mo and hes an old man with a few probs . dont think it would be wise to neuotor him at his age .

Back