• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Alfie's Snuffles

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Alfie is on his 3rd course of antibiotics for his snuffles, the first 2 were for a week at a time, he has now got 2 weeks worth.

He has had his first week's worth and the symptoms are still bad :cry: im really worried for him, he has nearly always got discharge from his nose - yesterday there was quite alot and i cleaned it up for him.

he eats and runs around and looks very happy but am so worried as its not improving. I got some pro-biotic stuff at the weekend which has vitamin C etc, hopefully that will help too.

Is there anything else i can do?? and what should i expect the next course of action from my bet to be??

Thanks

He may need to stay on baytril all the time, or to have penicillin injections instead. These are not hard to give and don't need to be done every day but every three days. The penicillin is cheaper than the baytril and it leaves you with the baytril in reserve for a bad attack. My Merlin had to have both all the time though, he was really bad. But two other snuffly buns of mine have been on the injections for almost a year with only an occasional course of baytril. I haven't had any trouble with their digestive systems as they get avipro probiotic in their water. One of them still lives outside as she isn't as bad and has two companions to snuggle up to, but the other had to come indoors and now lives in my bedroom. It sounds as if Alfie really needs to be inside. The damp is going to aggravate the snuffles and the possibility of pneumonia is a high one.

Unfortunately, there is NO way i can have him inside there simply isn't ANY room at all!!

I feel really sorry for him, he was getting better but yesterday there was quite alot of discharge, apart from that he hasn't sneezed that much at all...mybe the second week of his antibiotics will improve him then back to the vets..

He is eating and does about 10 blinky's a day so he can't be that poorly..can he??

hi

only if his eyes are all gunked up? Main thing is to finish the course of antibiotics or you'll get superbugs resistant to it - hopefully he'll improve next week.

Has your vet taken a swab? Although Baytril is a Broad Spectrum antIbiotic SOMETIMES a more specific one is required. I've had some 'snuffle buns' that seem to benefit from a steam humidifier in their environment (the kitchen in my case!). Some vets doubt it helps as the snot (oops,sorry!!) from a bun is often very thick and their nasal passage is very small so some vets think the vapour from humidifiers would not get to where its needed. However, I have observed some improvement in some buns when a humidifier is used. In buns with a constant nasal discharge I use a tiny bit of vaseline over their nose to try to stop it getting sore or abscessating. Bun will of course wipe their nose several times a day so am not actually sure how much this is of use. Hope little Alfie and his snotty nose improve soon. JCO

Thanks Elve,

No there is no gunk in his eye's, his eye's are fine as are his ears etc, just his berludy nose!!!

Am taking him back to the vet's next Tuesday for a check up and to see if he is well enough to go for the chop, am desperate to get another bun!

Bonnie

Some times a three mth course is recomended . I have a long term snuffles rabbit and athough hes very often got a slightly snoty nose i reserve the batril for when hes bad with weezing and very poorly. I think they are better out in the fresh air it does them good as lond as there not in a draught.A little albus oil on the nose helps a bit , just a dab. If they are eating well then thats a good sighn that there coping with it. val

Poor Alfie, Olbas Oil on a tissue or flannel outside the hutch can help, I use it with my bun Pip who gets snuffly every now + then. I have pegged a flannel to the outside of her run so I can just drop it on. She has been snufflin a bit this evenin so off to the vets with her, expect another course of Baytril!! Bisolvon from the vets is also good, it's a decongestant.

Nicola

Morning all and thanks for your replies!

Well Alfie seems better, he was not sneezing as much in fact he hadn't sneezed for ages last night and i haven't heard him this morning, the couple of sneezes he did last night white gunk came out. I wiped his nose up with some wipes.

Am getting some Olbas Oil today so hoping that will help.

Apart from that he has been jumping and blinking like mad in the garden last night - he is getting a new double jumbo hutch today (had to get a new one for when i get Alfie a friend) hope he likes it!

I really want to clear this up so am hoping that my vet will come up with a good plan B. My last vet, would you beleive, said "I don't give him any more Baytril, its probably as he is so young his immune system isn't strong enough and he'll grow out of it"!!

My new vet seems alot more clued up!

Back