• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What can i do? Help!

missshell

Mama Doe
My fiancee went outside earlier to get Darby back into her shed for the night and shes gone. The garden is rabbit proof but some how shes escaped. The only way we can think she could have done it is too have jumped on her old hutch and then onto the back which slopes up to a 12 ft fence,something shes never done before.

I can't believe this has happened we are frantic. Ive been round the neighbours to ask them to look out for her and we have hunted high and low.

Our only hope seems to be if she gets home herself back in the garden. Weve left her favourite treats around in the hope she'll be enticed. Please any advice would be welcome im so upset i cant think straight.

Thanks we've done that theres only the 2 gardens either side that it would be possible for her to get into. We've looked everywhere. She must be well hidden.......

Have you got any piles of logs or any thick bushes she could hide in? My buns are very cheeky and often hide in an old pile of logs in our garden - I'm used to this now + they usually come out when they hear food!!! But one evening I couldn't find little Amy anywhere - searched high + low for over an hour. Then my Dad found her about 4ft off the ground, in the log pile!! Obviously climbed up there and decided it was very comfy!!!

I really hope you find your bun.

Nicola x

Bare in mind is she got into the next door neighbours she could have gone into their neighbours. Try knocking on the door of 3-4 houses in each direction plus anyone that backs on to you.

Double checking the garden is a good idea and also go along the fence line and look for tunnels. She could also have made and be hiding in a burrow within the garden.

Tam

Checking the garden for burrows is a good idea - also, can she get under the shed? Sometimes, they are right under your noses but you can't see them.
Really hope that you find her soon - xxxx

Don't give up - I've been frantically searching for Max in the past thinking he's escaped and then he has turned up either from right behing the shed or from in a bush that I had already checked - they can hide in very small places.
Jane

After hours of searching we still can't find her. When out searching we saw a couple of foxes and are fearing the worst. I can't describe how i feel. I just can't believe this is happening.

I'm so sorry to har about your bun.
All 3 of mine escaped one day and went goodness knows where for a couple of hours or so, not sure how long they were free but they came back within 10 minutes of me discovering them gone. I just kept calling there names, trying to use my normal tone without showing the panic I was feeling inside.
I really, really hope you find her.

Rabswood

Oh I am so sorry to hear that. Ring the rspca and report you bunny missing. Someone might have her and rung them up! Also put signs up. Leave like your gate open put food out. Our old rabbit escaped and when he was hungry he sure knew his way home! I really hope you find your bunny. Good luck... :(

Oh no, I was hoping you would have found her by now. I know Bobby went missing at my last house, before we re-secured the run. I could hear him, but not see him, and was petrified. He came out though, to go back to his girlfriend.
Really hope you find her safe and sound.

Dont give up hope, and don't stop searching. Even if you can't look tonight, she could be too scared to move and be in the same spot tomarrow morning. Its easier to look in light *wink*

Good luck, let us know how it goes xxxxxx

I hope it's good news this morning.
Hopefully Chariesangel is right and she's been hiding all night and will turn up safe and sound this morning.

Any news?

Try knocking on doors to see if anyone has found a rabbit in the street.
I spent ages last summer trying to catch a little rabbit on our cul-de-sac.
Someone caught it eventually and a little girl kept it who lives across the road from me, so probably no one advertised its loss?

Rabswood

Alfie kennedy said:
Maybe a fox got in to the garden and got her?

I hope you get her back soon!

Sadly this is the fate of a lot of free-range rabbits. A really big problem.

I'm really sorry to hear you can't find her & i was hoping she was only missing temporarily. :cry:

Have you asked your neighbours just in case?

I've checked with the neighbours,phoned the vets in the area and the RSPCA and have also put posters up around the area in the hope that shes hiding somewhere we could'nt find her. We're devastated. I just can't believe this has happened. :(

Oh, poor you. Keeping my fingers crossed that someonne's taken her in. Big hugs to you.

Back