• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Vaccination - No reaction this time

bunnytales

Mama Doe
Howdie mad Forum Folk,

Just to give a little reassurance really - Zac had his VHD Vaccination yesterday and yep like a typical mad bunny mum I was so worried that he would get the paw limp that he had after last years but so far - nothing - he's been absolutely fine so just thought I'd let you know that it really does seem that just cus it happended before doesn't mean that reactions will reoccur :D :D :D

:evil: :evil: - One thing that did get me going a bit was that there was a temporary Vet standing in for my usual bunny savy vet who is on Maternity Leave - When I mentioned the reaction Zac had last year - he said he'd never heard of any such reaction before - which I guess isn't kinda surprising really but what worried me is that he said he does "SO FEW" VHD Vaccinations as the Virus is so rare that it really doesn't warrant having it done :shock: :shock: :shock:

I just don't get this - you'd think that a Practice that has a Bunny Savy Partner Vet would ensure that all Vets at the Practice were working on the same page - certainly for something like Vaccinations.

I had thought of dropping a letter to the Vets but I obviously don't want to cause any friction as my normal Vet is really good and definately knows her stuff when it comes to Bunnies.

Ouch... that is a difficult one.. I can well understand you not wanting to tread on a good Vets toes. Good luck. I think Tottis bad reaction to the jab was about 72 hours after it :cry:

Awww, glad he is fine this time :D

It is a bit anooying with your stand in vet though, you would think they would be working together! :?

.....even Vets who are in partnership often don't sing from the same Hymn Sheet......It can be VERY frustrating at times. JCO

luvabun said:
Ouch... that is a difficult one.. I can well understand you not wanting to tread on a good Vets toes. Good luck. I think Tottis bad reaction to the jab was about 72 hours after it :cry:

:lol: :lol: Yeah Jill - Know what you mean - I'm still on "Limp Watch" - am I sad or what :lol: :lol: :lol:

bunnytales said:
:lol: :lol: Yeah Jill - Know what you mean - I'm still on "Limp Watch" - am I sad or what :lol: :lol: :lol:
just to clarify.... its the leg that may go limp :wink:

I had a similar experience.

Rob had a limp after his vhd vaccination last year, so when I took him this year I was a bit worried. It wasn't his normal vet, but the man seemed OK, but did comment of Robs 'long medical record', however most of that was correspondence between the vet hospital and my normal vets when he had been really ill :?

In typical Rob fashion :wink: , he did develop the limp again, so I phoned the vet to talk to him (normal vet still on holiday) to see if I could give him metacam as I thought it might be sore. He said he had never heard of a limp being related to the vaccination, but when I said I thought it was quite common, and had happened last year, he then asked 'well why did you give him the vaccination if you know it doesn't agree with him'. :shock:

I explained (albeit sarcastically) that I thought a limp for a day was better than contracting vhd, but he then came back and said 'so, is it common in your area'. I then said I really didn't care whether it was common, but he simply told me it was my choice but he would not have it done again :shock:

Thankfully Rob was fine after a day again, but I was fizzing :evil: I don't want Rob to have a limp or be in pain, but I certainly don't want the alternative.

I'll make sure I see my normal vet next year :wink:

loopylop said:
Wow, some of these vets sure are shockers :shock: :shock: :?

Laura - its just so difficult sometimes - I just carn't understand why within one single practice that they don't all work from the same page - imagine if I didn't know better I'd be thinking - "blimey - its not worth the cost of vaccination then" - when we've seen so many heart wrenching tales this year re Myxi and VHD - you just think Vets should know better - I know in the vast majority of cases its still in the main cats and dogs but this is a practice that shines on the fact they have a Bunny Savy Vet as a Partner - I just wonder if I should write a carefully worded letter but worry that I might cause myself a problem for the future :?: :?: :?:

As it was it cost me £35 for just VHD Vaccination - you sometimes think no wonder its an uphill struggle to get folks to vaccinate.

Heck :!: - never easy is it :?: :?: :?:

bunnytales said:
loopylop said:
Wow, some of these vets sure are shockers :shock: :shock: :?

Laura - its just so difficult sometimes - I just carn't understand why within one single practice that they don't all work from the same page - imagine if I didn't know better I'd be thinking - "blimey - its not worth the cost of vaccination then" - when we've seen so many heart wrenching tales this year re Myxi and VHD - you just think Vets should know better - I know in the vast majority of cases its still in the main cats and dogs but this is a practice that shines on the fact they have a Bunny Savy Vet as a Partner - I just wonder if I should write a carefully worded letter but worry that I might cause myself a problem for the future :?: :?: :?:

As it was it cost me £35 for just VHD Vaccination - you sometimes think no wonder its an uphill struggle to get folks to vaccinate.

Heck :!: - never easy is it :?: :?: :?:

OMG that much for JUST the VHD?! I have just paid for both myxo and VHD as they are due within a month of each other and it was like £27 for both!!!!!!

Hum, a friendly letter might help, as you are right, a lot of people would have said, Ahh its not worth bothering then! :? As Vets are like Doctors, you believe what they tell you. Its unfortunate that some vets arent what they should be :(

Glad Zac was ok this time round!
Like you I was watching Blueberry closely for the next few day's after her VHD, she was also fine this time round :D

I mentioned the limp she had after her first jab, the vet didn't really comment wether he agreed or not but said to keep an eye on her.
I have heard that the VHD vaccine isn't effective, but I would never forgive myself if they didn't have it and then contracted it...

beck said:
Glad Zac was ok this time round!
Like you I was watching Blueberry closely for the next few day's after her VHD, she was also fine this time round :D

I mentioned the limp she had after her first jab, the vet didn't really comment wether he agreed or not but said to keep an eye on her.
I have heard that the VHD vaccine isn't effective, but I would never forgive myself if they didn't have it and then contracted it...

Thanks Beck and everyone else for your replies, Zac is still fine and Limp Less so far :D

- I guess its just something you have to make your own decision about but like many of you have said on here, although I was worried about him I just knew I didn't want to face the possible outcome of not having him done.

Think its a real shame though - there are soooooooo many brilliant Vets out there that work so hard and listen but there just does seem to be the old school element that have this "mighter than thou" attitude and think us Furry mad folks know zilch :roll: - good job there are the good ones out there eh mates :wink:

luvabun said:
just to clarify.... its the leg that may go limp :wink:

:oops: :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I am so glad you made that point Jill.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
we are glad to hear Zac was alright post vaccine this time round Lany :D
XX

Back