• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why can't the RSPCA set up shops? Or have they?

Pet shops are always in shoping areas and centers, but large animal shelters need so much space they aren't usually very close. So why don't they set up small shops where they can sell the animals that are in good health? They have to put down so many animals, so wouldn't giving the public easier access and a local option help? Just an idea I have been thinking about for so long. They don't do it here but i was wondering about where others live, do they do something like that in other countries?

hey you nicked my idea!!!
Thats what I want to do when I have enough money and have set up a shelter but I would just sell to any customer. It would be like a rescue but in a place that is easier to get to.

I suspect the cost of renting a shop unit, and having a permanent member of staff available, would be prohibitive for many. Also, you wouldn't be able to rehome there and then, as you'd want to homecheck etc, so people who want one "now" would probably just go to a pet shop anyway. It would probably divert resources away from animal care and onto shop expenses and administration.

Having said that, though, pet shops obviously run at a profit or they wouldn't exist, so if you could put together a valid business case for selling accessories and maybe keeping an up to date portfolio of animals, then why not :lol:

They could get the money for the rent from the animals. I know of many people including myself who would of definately adopted an animal instead of going to a pet shop.

It would be a way of them looking at the animals atleast, maybe the passers by would see the perfect animal, put it on hold and they could do a home check. It would have the same effect on the public as normal pet shops "the see the animal in the window, fall in love" aproach but then they could do a home check and not let the people buy it on the spot so it wouldn't be as much of an impulse buy.

I was thinking of doin this when Im older as well that's why i asked, aswell.

/

I think it's a matter of cost and space. MY RSPCA likes to put the rabbits out in runs every day unless the weather is severe....they couldnt do this in a shop enviroment. Also cross contamination, no one on site at night..RSPCA's always have a problem with people trying to break in and steal or release animals :( .

The last thing u said about people braking in to steal animals is awful. I f people want the animal they could atleast pay the money it took to care for it, it's not like they are pet shops and are cruel or anything (not that ALL pet shops are cruel) and they don't ask for very much money either :(

I believe there is a RSPC shop in Canterbury, no animals there it's kinds like a charity shop selling bis and bobs.

Probably because small petshops only make enough to cover wages of staff so they wouldn't actually make any money for the rspca unless they got volunteer staff - and getting enough volunteers to crew a full time petshop would be hard work.

With charity shops everything is donated so the cost of buying stock doesn't come out of profit. They also tend not to be open as many hours or be as busy - so need less staff.

Tam

Back