• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My ol' Dad

Lizzie

Mama Doe
I used to call him Elsie cos his initials were L.C. and little Leonard bun is named after him, he adored Harriet, she could just not put a paw wrong and he died on the 29th September, 1999 at the very grand old age of 89! He was ready to go and I have to confess that there were times in the later years of his life when we did not see eye to eye BUT he was always my dad and his love for animals never waned.

He was as daft as a brush, quite an old eccentric really - I hope that nobody will be offended by this but I remember going to see him with my nephew and his partner when he was in the Chapel of Rest. He was in his shroud in the coffin and we were all emotional as you can imagine, I turned to Shaun and said "Do you know, it would be just like Grandad to be lying there and suddnely jump up and say Boo! I was only having you on!!" And when we came back from the crematorium in the black funeral car, the undertaker's assistant was being very solemn and respectful and I quipped to him: "OOooh this is rather plush, any chance of a lift to Tesco?" My dad, I know, would have approved wholeheartedly!!!

What I really want to say to you all, apart from telling you a little bit about him, is that if he is there at the Bridge he will certainly be making sure that all our little creatures who have passed over are happy, he will enjoy being with them more than with humans. And more than anything else, I hope he has been reunited with my darling Harriet. :love:

Lizzie - that's a lovely tribute to your Dad and as you say I'm sure he is in Heaven looking after everyone.

Awwww, I'm sure he's having a ball at the bridge Lizzie, him and Harriet and all the other spirit beasties together, they're probly plotting what little creature to send you next :shock: :roll: :lol:

xxxx

arh lizze thats is a lovely tribute to you dad, and with the amount of bunnys we have lost our the last years with poor phil and jay and everyone else i am sure you dad is havin a ball!

i am sure he is playing in the fields with harret.

i always imagine people and the bunnies we have lost to be in the pretty part of "what dreams may come" with robin williams, going to heaven and imaginingg your life being perfect!!!!

god bless

Eve x

What a lovely tribute - your dad sounds like a wonderful person. I hope he's enjoying himself with all of our animals. I must say, I prefer animal's company to human's sometimes too!

Auntie Lizzie :) your dad would be proud of that lovely tribute and of you as well :) He will be taking Harriet for her walks and playing with the bunnies at the bridge :)

thats a nice message about your dad .
I,ve still got my daddy , i,m 30 but he,s still my "daddy" and i,ve still got my mummy too . I utterly adore them and have so much respect for them , getting morbid now but I dread the day i loose them tho :shock: :shock:

I always dreaded it too, Gina, all my life really but it is amazing how you cope with it when the time comes, especially if they have had a good innings as my dad obviously had. :D I always dreaded losing Harriet too and still wish she could have died of old age - I'm sure you feel the same way about Cheekybun! :(

/

Lizzie that's a lovely tribute. My Dad, who was killed a year ago, also had the initials LC and we too called him Elsie! Used to address his mail Elsie Matthews!! Although he always went by his middle name, Charles (he preferrred Charlie)
I'm sure your Dad is looking down on you and is very proud xx

Dear Lizzie

What a lovely tribute to your Dad.....you have made me laugh and you have made me cry...I know you will understand!! I still have my Dad and treasure each and every day....for how long?? I made a very special card for my Mum 'cos she is my special friend and confidant and put my photo on the back...my Dad kisses it every day and just loves me to bits...isn't that just great? We have a laugh about all sorts and he INSISTS that I buy a bottle of wine now and then from him for me to enjoy...and I do! Thinking of L.C. and him cuddling your darling Harriet...lucky so and so!!

Love from

I remember having a standing joke with my hubby about people lurking behind gravestones in every TV funeral...imagine my horror when i noticed a "lurker" at his dads burial!. I had to stifle a little grin.
Your dad sounds like a real character and your piece about him was from the heart...well done.

Oh dearie me, those last few messages have made me buckle I have to say!!! :cry: Especially yours Jill and in the light of what has so recently happened to you - how curious that both your dad and mine were Elsie!!! :D

Thats a lovely tribute Lizzie and he sounds a wonderful man and so lovely that you have some very special memories of him.

this is a pure personal view but I think sometimes its so easy to take relationships for granted and then one day the folks we love are no longer there and your left with lots of "what if's" and "I wish I'd" - certainly this happened to me when I lost my Brother who was only 24 and then my Dad - both within 12 months - and I gotta say honestly I felt worse about my Brothers loss as it just seemed he'd been robbed of life at such a young age - but Hey - "thats life" as they say - and just the same as the lovely Lizzie I'll alway cherish the memories :wink:

wow LIzzie you dad sounds a very special man indeed, dont us gilries just love our daddies :D and by the sounds of it, you get your fantastic personality and care from others from him Lizzie xxxx

Aaah, Lizzie, that is lovely. As you know I get rather emotional about death, I just do not cope with it very well, but it is lovely to know your father is caring for all our loved ones. He sounds such a remarkable man and I bet he is still watching over and caring for you now.

I often used to be sad watching my parents grow old, but I read somewhere that when you think of the alternative think yourself lucky to have them. And it is true! Obviously the person who wrote that did not have the good fortune to see his parents reach big numbers.

love Alice xx

Dear Lizzie what a beautiful tribute to your Dad, I feel I know him after reading that :wink: I wish I had had the opportunity to meet him in person though.
He sounds like he was a very special person, and I am sure he must have been extremely proud and fond of you. :)
Lots of love and hugs
XX

Back