• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD Vaccine

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
I have just spoken with one of the vets at Fort Dodge,(manufacturers of Cylap, the VHD vaccine). He said that if a rabbit under 12 weeks is vaccinated because of an outbreak of disease then the vaccination must be repeated 3 MONTHS later. He said that a full dose can be given to 'under age buns', but that the repeat vaccination must take place to ensure adequate protection. After this the vaccinations take place yearly as usual. He was not certain that an adequate immune response would be acheived by giving an 'under age bun' the first VHD vaccination in two halves. And of course, very rarely, some bunnies of any age just do not produce an immune response from the vaccination for 'reasons unknown'. The vet said that it is 'highly unlikely' that a bunny infected with VHD would remain 'well' for a couple of months as a result of vaccination, then succumb to the disease. He said the most likely scenario is that the bunny was 'challenged' by VHD again from the environment and because the initial vaccination had not produced an immune response, and the second vaccination (ie 3 months after first one) had not yet been given the poor bunny would fall victim to VHD. The vet also said that any chronic case of VHD, (ie where sudden death does NOT occur) ALWAYS results in an obviously sick rabbit. I really do not know if any of this info is of any help. I am sure that it will not change how Phill must still be feeling after the nightmare she has endured. But thought I would pass the info on anyway just in case. To be honest my brain felt scrambled after trying to understand it all. JCO

Thanks for that JCO i have passed the information on to my Vet and she is going to ring forte dodge as if the above information id correct it is not what they told her back in june and i would like to make sure that the other babies get another dose of vaccine if that is possible.

Ok Hazel (vet) has spoken with the head vet at forte dodge! They have told her that any rabbit over 2 and a half months old can have a full dose but under that age he isn't sure. so the advice they gave in june was wrong :( The head guy is going to speak with all the vets there and find out what is what, in the mean time they are sending free vaccine to Hazel and she will give Apple, Dash and Scooter another full dose for free to be on the safe side! Phew all over and done with. The vet at Forte Dodge did say that all the adults will be fine as they had a full dose in June and any rabbit coming to the premisses will be fine if vaccinated first XX
Ivy obviously did not have an immune respons to the vaccine in June which Hazel and Forte Dodge agree with XX

hi

glad to know why it happened although it won't bring poor Ivy back - at least the others will be protected :)

so interesting to hear the info, and I hope it brings a wee tiny bit of relief to you that you know why at least Phil, and that it should mean the others will be fine xxx

my babies both had the full dose this last week, they are 10 weeks, the vet said that would be fine, and so far no ill effects and at least I KNOWthey are as covered as they can be, but you can never,,ever predict if the vaccine doesnt "take".

Dont beat yourself up about it Phill, you are the bestest Bunny mummy and there was nothing you culd do

....and I would like to say a special thank-you to little Ivy in Bunny Heaven. From over the bridge she has guided us to the knowledge we need to protect our bunny babies on this side of the bridge. So til we all meet up again over the bridge thank-you little Ivy. Have lots of binkies and look out for all my buns over the bridge: Kate,Molly,Robbie,Anna,Freya, Laura,Georgia,Nikki,Alice,Megan,Nell,Malcolm,Eve,Sophie,Aisling,Eleanor, Fran,Joanne,Timothy,Charlie,Freddos,Beatrice,Adam,Keira, Rupert,Hattie,Bunny,Seamus,Amber,Ronan,Bijou,Finn,Emily,Little Jo,Ruffles,Billie,Alfie,Victoria Meldrew,Jane and David. Your memory lives on in our hearts XXXX JCO

awww JCO what a lovely thing to say, I am sure Phil will be pleased, that is such a nice tribute to the buns, and yes out of bad, good can come

Thanks for finding out that info - it is good to hear it from the source :D

lol Pam

PS Maybe this could be posted as a sticky cause I am sure that it would be useful for others to refer to it in the future

Thanks for the info, i wish thed all talk to eachother though then vets would all be singing from the same hyme sheet. val :roll:

Back