• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Hernia?

gibbsy123

Warren Scout
I took Betty to the vets today as she didn't seem well and on examination the vet found a lump in her tummy. She told me she tought it was a hernia, so betty has to stay at the vets over night :( and they will sedate her tomorrow and look more into it. Has anyone had a rabbit that has been through this before?

Yes, I have a Black Otter Rex who herniated after being spayed. Basically an internal stitch came undone so she was re-operated on and the hernia was repaired ie the bits of intestine that had slipped through her abdominal wall were put back in place. She (Sarah) made a full recovery. Hope your bun will be ok. It is such a worry when they aren't well. I guess a bun can get a hernia for numerous reasons just like us 'orrible humans. Even though the hernia 'lump' can look scary, (Sarah's was the size of a small orange!!), it CAN be repaired and bun can make a good recovery. JCO

Thanks for the kind words, it is a worry when they are not well I hope that it is nothing more sinister. Your poor bun had a tough time of it bless her.

I also had one that developed a hernia after a spay, she was operated on to correct it and made a full recovery.

Cheryl

my rabbit has a hernia (aswell as manky teeth and caturaks and recovering from an absess shes falling apart bless her) but the vet has told me aslong as it doesnt change or get any worse then its nothing to worry about :?

I found out yesterday that it was a tumour, so that came as a bit of a shock. The vet said she had got it all out and sent a sample off to get it analysed. This morning she took a turn for the worst and is now on a drip. Im so worried poor Betty. Hang in there bun.

All my 32 'special needs' buns and me are hoping your bun will pull through. At least bun is getting all the veterinary care needed. Thinking of you JCO + 32 SNBs (special needs bunnies)

Back