• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My rabbit's toilet

hELLO THERE MY NAME IS SHARON...

I have a lovely dwarf french lop rabbit called flops and I have a problem with him that is bugging me alot!

Ever since we have had him around 3 years he has always gone to the toilet in his sleeping area of his hutch. My partner has just got him a new hutch which is massive with loads of room, we took some of his old toilet and put it in a corner of the new hutch so it had his smell in there and to try and get him to go there for his toilet but still he goes in his sleeping area and sleeps in his run area in the cold!

Any help on this would be of help as it is starting to get cold and I worry about him.

Also I have heard diffrent replys to how long a rabbit lives Is it only 4 years or is it more???

Many thanks
sharon

I wouldn't worry too much. My two use their whole hutch as their toilet and sleep on top (the hutch is in a shed). :lol: :lol: :shock:

my rabbit does the same she in a new hutch and its like back to front from her other with the sleeping part on the other side so she still uses the same corner as in the other hutch really but this one has the sleeping part there
and about rabbits only living 4 years thats a lie they can live up to about 8 years or more theres one on this forum thats nearly 14

Oh wow thats great news as I was starting to think that my rabbit will be leaving me soon....

My rabbit loves to play with my dog which is a border collie they have great fun.

Also I was told that rabbits are not ment to be kept alone as they get very lonely is this true should I get another one???

Hiya, my bunnies also sleep on top of the hutches, it must be lovely and warm in them, but they prefer the great outdoors!
It's really up to the individual bunny, whether they are on their own or not, but most people keep pairs (or more :shock: ) - it certainly helps to keep the warm!

shazzywazzy said:
ahhh helen one of you pictures on your message looks like my bunny. the one on the bottom left

Patchy - sadly now at Rainbow Bridge. The most beautiful, good-natured bunny. I really miss her :(

My rabs live in a converted outdoor playhouse. They have a litter tray which they use but they also use their bed box which means I have to change it everyday as I don't want them sleeping on their damp bedding.

When I make up a bed box I put several pieces of newspaper on the bottom topped with lots of straw but occassionally I use shredded paper instead of straw.

Rabswood

Fidget uses her bedding corner as her main tiolet too, I've never really thought much of it. I change it regularly, and she doesn't seem to object to her choice of toilet/sleeping arrangements or I guess she wouldn't do it!

My little Douglas also uses the bedding area as a toilet - so I put a litter tray in there and he uses it most of the time. I think that he likes to poo in private! He also hides in the covered part of the run when he poos - when we move the run we can always expect a neat pile of poos from under the covered bit. When he poos out in the open garden, it's always in the same spot - he sits there for a while and his eyelids slightly close - like he's concentrating... Stephanie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back