• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

reasons for a bunny loosing weight!

touie

Wise Old Thumper
I'm a bit worried about Treacle as he was overweight and since moving him and Fudge outside into the shed (in July) he seems to have become quite skinny. I can feel his spine and i couldn't before!! I'm going to take him to the vets on Monday as I have the day off, but I was wondering whether anyone had any ideas about weight loss and anything else I could be looking out for? :? I know he's a bit bullied by fudge could this cause him to lose weight?

It is always a good idea to keep a record of your bunny's weight so that you can see if there is any drastic change.

Do you feed them together perhaps you nead to feed them apart if you think you bunny is not getting his share.

Have you looked at the teeth can you see any problems there, I'm sure this will be one of the first things the vet will check. Get the vet to record your bunnys weight on his computer so that you have a record at the vets so that if you go back next week if things are not better you can see if there is a change. Obvious I know but you will be surprised how many do not record their weight.

Hope all goes well if you are really worried get an earlier appointment.

Best wishes

Maureen

I havent checked his teeth as he often gets bullied if I touch him in front of Fudge! There is a record of his weight at the vets as he was on a diet so I'll get them to check that!! I'm thinking I might try to get a late appointment on Friday instead as I've just heard there's Myxi in the area! :shock: So I guess if the vet gives the all clear I can put it down to being bullied by Fudge and have to think about separating them! :(

Back