• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Clocks changing

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

Sorry i have another question (i am a bit of a worrier so excuse me)

I know everyone says not to leave their buns in the run when its dark, but what does everyone do with their buns when the clocks change - obviously it starts getting dark around 4/5 at night.

Alfie has a 5 foot run with a hutch inside with taupauline on top and about 20 bricks, when the clocks change i'd hate to start having to put him back in his hutch for the whole day when the clocks change.

What does everyone else do? thanks and sorry for all the q's, as you can tell im a fairly new rabbit owner :wink:

I have flood lights for my enclosure :lol:

I leave them out but I'm nearly always out there with them working in my shed with the rats

hi

I think they go back about the 20 something of Oct - always on a Saturday night so we supposedly have a whole day to adjust our entire body clock :roll:

I can't see that Alfie will come to any harm in his run - he's no more in danger in the dark than in daylight, so long as it's not late on in the night. You could maybe put one of those battery operated push lights in his hutch, or on the outside of it and leave that on all day so it's light in the evening - not sure how long the batteries last in those but you'd need rechargeables or it would get a bit expensive :)

Either that or install an outside light instead of a PIR operated one - then you could leave that on all day.

I think the clocks change on the night leading into the 30th October this year.

I see no reason to have to put a bunny away as soon as it gets dark, I've always left mine out if I'm happy that the run provides as least as much security from predators as a hutch.

If you are thinking about the risk of a Fox attack then believe me these days Foxes are a threat day or night. This time last year a young Fox CAME INTO MY KITCHEN via an open window and killed one of my beloved House Rabbits. It was like a nightmare becoming reality. So if your bun's run is Fox proof it will make little difference what the light conditions are. At this time of year young Foxes are leaving their family group and seeking their own territory. They are non too 'street wise' and certainly dont play by the rules of hunting in the dark. The problem with urban Foxes is made worse by well meaning but mis-guided people leaving food out for them. Still miss you Ronan, my beautiful Castor Rex. So sorry I could not protect you and that I let you down. But I never thought a Fox would actually come into the house. JCO

omg thats awful . a fox in the house :shock:

i m scared to death of foxes being attracted to mygarden as there are lots of fields nea5r me . however i have to say im also against fox hunting and understand they are only doing what comes naturaly to them.

Angie

yes me too! I'm a bit paranoid and usually shut my bunnies in the shed at night which had a double door and lock their cat flap!!! Though I did forget one night and they stayed out!!! I usually shut them up between 8 and 10pm, I feel mean if i do it before!!!

Elve I forgot about those battery operated light things - what a good idea...where do i get them from??

I remember having one when i was little!!

Blimey, a fox getting in your kitchen???!!! that is scary, how awful for you :cry:

Back