• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What a shock!

Charliesangel

Warren Veteran
OK, please excuse the rant. You know how I get when I get overwhelmed. :roll: :oops:

So, today when I came home, I decided to check out what was happening on here, rather than do my homework. I didn't check on the buns, because I knew that they were fine with food/water, and that they were clean. Dinner time came (wow, I spent the whole afternoon on this site :roll: )and I hadn't even started my project!
I was kind of freiking out because I did have a project and other homework to do, so I ate fast and ran into my bedroom to start. I realized that all of my coloured paper and pencils were in the bunny room, so I went down stairs to get them.

OK, here is when I lost it. When I opened the door, I was greeted by daisy, who tried to push her way out of the room. Fine, right? Ummm...no! I hadn't let Blaise and Daisy out, so that means that they broke out.
I went to turn on the light, and it wouldn't work, so they had obviously chewwed through the cord. I was mad, and kind of worried, becasuse that is very dangerous.
So, anyways I went searching for blaise in the dark after tossing daisy back into the cage, and then realized that he was in Oliver's cage.

*my heart stopped*

Blaise & Daisy lose, with oliver no where to be seen. Blaise's passion in life is to kill Oliver.

I started crying automatically, expecting the worst. I ran upstairs to get my mum, because I didn't want to go looking for oliver. I didn't want to see him severely hurt, or even dead. *takes a deep breath*

Well, we eventually found Oliver, and he is ok. He has some large scratches on his back, and one medium sized puncture on his back. They aren't bleeding, so I wiped them off with a towel and some warm water. My mum who was a vet tech. said that there was nothing that the vet could really do, because it wasn't really that horrible. So, now I have moved him into my room, away from blaise and Daisy (the beasts) and he is recovering

Daisy came out of the situation scratch free, she is not at all a fighter. And It looks like Blaise did most of the attacking, and he just has one bite wound below his eye, that we cleaned and is now OK.

Now I am sitting here, still shaking to death, with still so much to do. I just can't get that picture out of my head that I had when I realized that Blaise and Oliver were lose together. Makes you really realize what you've got.

Well, I guess my little crisis rant for the week is over. Hehe, I just can't go through one week with out something happening with the buns!

I'll update you on how everyone is doing in the morning. And if his wounds don't look better, I'm going to take Oliver to the vet just to get them checked out. (they are really not that bad though, he just needs a little TLC)

Well, I have to go make sure oliver is settled up in my room.

xxxx

Eek!! I can only imaginge how you felt! Thank god every body was ok..Did you finish your project in the end?

hi

:shock: How horrible to find that! Glad that Olly wasn't seriously hurt - what a shock for the poor baby :(
You will have to watch carefully in coming weeks that the boys, especially Oliver, don't develop abscecces where they were wounded - you will feel a lump under the skin if they do - in which case they may need to be treated - here's an article on it:
http://www.houserabbit.co.uk/rwf/articles/abscesses.htm

Yeah I agree watch the puncture wounds. Cosmos got Zeus under the eye a month ago and it developed into an abcess. It felt like a hard lump and actually burst a bit at the top he had to have it surgically cleaned out but it healed up just fine after.

Caz

try bathing the wound in salt water, it may help keep any infection at bay!

boeing has a puncture wound in her ear i have been abthing it, could this turn into an abcess?????

eve x

I could imagine that as soon as u saw the bun when u opened the door imediately every hair stood up on end and u froze for a split second. I almost trod on a snake once, when i first saw it all my reflexes froze and i wanted to run. I ended up not getting hurt and getting away from it easy but up until I went to bed i was shivering and shaking and couldn't get rid of the feeling i got when i first saw it although i knew i was safe. So i sort of know how u feel, very different situations but the feelings are the same except u were scared for ur buns safety not urs.

any wound on a bun could turn into an absess . if it is a small clean wound it should be ok and theres not much you can do except keep it clean . a bad wound may need antibiotics to ward off infection but as they can upset a buns gut flora most vets will only give them if the wound is bad or very dirty.... absessess can appear after the wound has healed so keep a look out for any lunps and bumps.
Angie

bunnymadhouse said:
any wound on a bun could turn into an absess . if it is a small clean wound it should be ok and theres not much you can do except keep it clean . a bad wound may need antibiotics to ward off infection but as they can upset a buns gut flora most vets will only give them if the wound is bad or very dirty.... absessess can appear after the wound has healed so keep a look out for any lunps and bumps.
Angie

thank angie!

Gosh what a shock for you - still it couldve been a whole lot worse as you say - fongers crossed the wounds all heal okxx

Sorry I wan't able to get on earlier, very busy with school :roll: . In the end, I did get the project done, but I had to stay up until 1:30am to do it :shock: :shock: . I'm totally exausted now after that, and a 2 hour swimming practice.

Anyways, forgets about me, about the buns!! I just checked Oliver's punctures and they look very clean. The largest one is starting to scab over a bit. I am keeping them clean, and keeping him from moving too much. Right now he is in my room, happily munching on some apple :D :wink:

As for Blaise and Daisy, I dont even know what to do with them anymore. Blaise makes me so mad! I have had him since he was 6 weeks old, and have raised him with tons of love and care, and he has turned out to be a monster!! Not only HATING Oliver, but going after me too!! I just dont understand.

Daisy on the other hand, I have no clue what her life was like for the first 2 years, and she is the sweetest little baby ever! She has no injuries, and there is not one ripped out piece of fur on the floor. I figured she wasn't even part of the fight, she just went strait towards Olly's food, and watched from a distance :shock: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Well, I guess thats it for now!! The only thing that I am happy about after this situation is that Oliver is in my room. He is such a people bun, and he is so much happier now. Even though he has a much smaller cage, and not as much running time, he is the most chilled out bun ever! I just love him for that. The great thing is that my dog is still sleeping in my room, I just got some curtains to cover the closet(where Oliver's cage currently is) when were sleeping, and when I'm gone :D

xxxx Thanks for all of the sweet replies!!

Maybe Blaise only goes for you if you have been touching Oliver and he can smell his scent on you? I have the same problem with Phoebe, she attacked Amber and is really nasty around her but it isn't her fault. She's only doing what comes naturally so I can't be mad at her. Its just horrible to see your pets fighting when you want them to get along :(

Blaise used to be such a mummy's boy. Then, when Daisy joined us he kind of left me for her, which I do fully understand.

But when I do touch and take care of Blaise, I wash my hands, and somtimes change my clothes if needed so that he doesn't attack (because of Olly's scent) but he still does.

Dont know.... :?

Back