• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Operation query. Pippin's worried.

rabswood

Wise Old Thumper
My beautiful baby boys are going to be castrated on Monday.

The vet suggested that Pippin has his insisors taken out at the same time as he has problem teeth. I'm worried that having his bits cut off and his teeth taken out at the same time might be too much for him although I know it means he wont have to go under the anesthetic twice and have 2 seperate operations.

What do people think? I don't want to put him through too much.
The teeth have to come out at some point by the way.

Rabswood :(

sorry cant help but i wish him luck for monday its the geting him to eat and drink bit you need to worry about and i dont know how mutch pain both ops will cause him

personally i would say get them both done at the same time, rabbits do heal really quickly from ops., but dont do very well with ansestics so putting them through it twice is probably worse than whats gonna happen to his during the ops.

castration for a boy is relatively small operation so i am sure both ops wil be fine together

Eve x

I've had neuter and teethwork done at the same time with 3 of my buns, working on the point that both had to be done and I'd rather risk one slightly longer anaesthetic than two. Two were incisor extractions, one was work on molar spurs. They were a bit grumpy afterwards, but no more so than Mary was when he had his incisors out without being neutered. You just want to make sure you have time to syringe feed him when he's home if necessary, as you don't want to slow down the recovery of both ends by him not eating.

I've had boys have neuters and teeth taken out at the same time - it went really well and meant not having to undergo another operation.
We have also had neuters and amputations at the same time, again, for the same reason as having one less operation.
With Florence (ATB) - she had a spay and a back leg amputation at the same time and was brilliant.
I would go for the two ops at the same time, it really does help them in the end and lessens the chance of yet more ops in the future.

Yep I would say go for both as 1 longer anaesthetic is less risky than 2 closer together. When Pippa had an abcess removed from her foot, she had her teeth done too (nothing major, just couple of spurs to take away), but I wouldn't have wanted to have left them and then needed a dental however many months later!!!

Thanks everyone, feel much happier now.

BUT... still have to worry about them both surviving the anesthetic and eating, weeing and pooing afterwards. It's so hard being a bunny mummy :(

Rabswood

Back