• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

spaying

i think it's four months and best to have them done by six months so there's less fat to cut through

hi

Although Dana Krempels reckons they need the hormones to put down proper bone density and mature in other ways - she recommends no earlier than 9 months - depends how desperate you are I would say :?

just out of curiosity whose dana krempels? i've never had my girls done at four months cos it's such a big op and i think they're still so small to go through it. have always taken vets advice and gone for 6months ish but that's interesting about bone density. would there be much difference in the fat they lay down between 6 and 9 months, assuming sensible diet of course???

really? I've never heard of the 9 months thinsg before, I was going to get Leial spayed soon aswell :? Shoul dI really wait 2 more months? I'm worried the frustration may drive her insane! :shock:

mmm.... :? I'm not sure what to do for the best.I'd like to bond her with Derek who is neutered but not sure if to wait until shes spayed or go for it now. Shes only eight weeks and they kiss and nuzzle through the cage gaps but i dont want to mess it up. any ideas?

if she's only eight weeks she *shouldn't* have any problems bonding as she'll probably be submissive and will be so glad to have a friend. as long as he's been neutered long enough to have lost the erm, urge (!) any mounting should be just to establish dominance rather than him pestering her

Derek is a gentlemen ive done my best to teach him to respect the ladies :wink: . He was neutered five years ago (as soon as he was old enough) he doesnt know about rude things :wink: thanks for your advice i'll keep you posted.

Back