• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how much hay?

Kezowner

Young Bun
I have got two large rabbits and they eat about 1kg of supa forage excel (dried grass) per week. Is this normal or are they eating alot? They also have a couple of handfulls of supa rabbit excel food per day. Should I give them hay as well as the dried grass?

Yep lots + lots of hay is good, as much as they will eat :) I tend not to give my buns as much dried grass but keep the hay constantly there.

hi

I use dried grass as a treat for my bunnies - they get a handful of it a day - it's richer in protein than regular hay, so too much isn't a good idea - You can never give them too much hay though - they should eat a bundle of hay roughly the size of their body, twice a day - so I've heard :D

Re: hi

elve said:
You can never give them too much hay though - they should eat a bundle of hay roughly the size of their body, twice a day - so I've heard :D

I didn't know that! Thanks Elve :thumb:

hi

You can try different types of hay and see if they prefer one to another - some farms are better than others, and some years are better for hay making than others - I've mostly binned pet shop bags of hay I bought in the past as it's been awful quality - I guess they get a cheap job lot off a hay merchant or something - A bale from a farm shop is your best bet, if you have a car and somewhere to store it - Someone here uses an old duvet cover to store their bales in :)

Twice the size of their body? Oh dear!!!! Patches is a nightmare :? I think I'd be lucky if he ate that much in a week :( And I've tried all sorts he just doesn't like it! Blossom is much better but still not THAT much! Although I did read on another site that as long as they're getting fibre from other things aswell then it's ok - mine get a lot of greens etc. I do get our hay from a farm and that did improve things but still not brilliantly... I've currently got them a little treat box of different hays from bunnybazaar (I think) but they're still not mad about it!

It's not just the fibre (although that's good, obviously!) but also the chewing action - hay or grass is good as it is lots of grazing and the "right sort" of chewing to grind down the molars!

hi

If your bun eats a lot of grass they will probably not eat as much hay though - it's all the same stuff in the end :D

I agree, if they are eating other things (ie vegetation), they may not eat as much hay. Mine love spring greens. They seem to get through them and only turn to hay once they have run out! Although a bunny can never have too much hay. b-m :)

Back