• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Took a trip to the vets

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
I've been pretty worried about Honey's bum as its been messy. I have laid off the greens like the vet said just just fed a few pellets. Today her bum was a right mess so i went to the vet and he said to wash it and feed just hay from now on. I feel like i'm going to be starving Honey and Charlie! :(

Just wanted to know other peoples thoughts!

She will be just fine on Hay alone Grace and Will have mainly Hay and a few pellets in there diet as Grace gets a really sticky bum if she has to many and they are fine. They wont starve XXX

What do wild bunnies eat? And what is hay made from? :D You won't starve them and it will probably do her tum and teeth alot of good :) What brand of food do you use? If you're not already Supreme Science is a good one. You might also like to try some probiotics.

Tam

hi

House rabbits don't need any pellets at all to be healthy - just lots of hay and a small amount of leafy green veg - although with honey it's best to go back to just hay :D

a few pelets are good for a house bun, as they contain vit D thats needed for house buns as they are not getting as much from the sun, but Coby also suffers with a bad tummy so he only gets a few, a few herbs, no veg really as it upsets him, and mainly hay, they will be fine hun :) x

Hi!

Probiotics are good but go easily.... I gave Patches some recently and they upset his tummy. You can get bioacidophilus from a health food shop. Also good for you to take so you can finish the bottle! Depending on what you get just give him a tiny bit of one capsule.
He'll be fine on hay though! Poor baby :) Patches tends to get a sticky bum if I change his diet too quickly (ie. give him slightly more carrot 1 day)!

Good Luck

Thanks everyone for the advice, i feel alittle better now, but i feel like they arn't getting the right amount of vitamins ect by taking away the pellets! I'll be bring charlie into the house and giving him greens out of Honey's views! he he!

Back