• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My bun has snuffles

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Alfie has the snuffles, in fact he has had it from when i first got him 3 months ago.

He was given two lots of baytril (week's worth at a time) and was giving it to him on cabbage as i found it hard giving it to him by a syringe. The Baytril improved him but not fully cured.

Anyway, i took him to another vets on Saturday and they have given him another antibiotics (similar to baytril, begins with M) and he will be on that for 2 weeks, i will be giving it to him in a syringe whether he likes it or not so he gets all of it!

He eats and blinky's everywhere so he isn't really poorly but he does sneeze alot and has white discharge coming out of his nose sometimes.

Is there anything else I can do, am hoping the antibiotics will sort him out...can i do anything extra??

i need to get this cleared up so i can get him neatured and get a 2nd rescue bun..

Anyway advice or will he always have this and in which case i can't get another :(

Alfie kennedy said:
Hi all,

Alfie has the snuffles, in fact he has had it from when i first got him 3 months ago.

He was given two lots of baytril (week's worth at a time) and was giving it to him on cabbage as i found it hard giving it to him by a syringe. The Baytril improved him but not fully cured.

Anyway, i took him to another vets on Saturday and they have given him another antibiotics (similar to baytril, begins with M) and he will be on that for 2 weeks, i will be giving it to him in a syringe whether he likes it or not so he gets all of it!

He eats and blinky's everywhere so he isn't really poorly but he does sneeze alot and has white discharge coming out of his nose sometimes.

Is there anything else I can do, am hoping the antibiotics will sort him out...can i do anything extra??

i need to get this cleared up so i can get him neatured and get a 2nd rescue bun..

Anyway advice or will he always have this and in which case i can't get another :(

i an very sorry but as far as i am aware once a bunny has snuffles, they always have it and they usually suffer from flare ups, as with reuard to getting another bunny you would need to get a bunny with snuffles as any new bun would catch it anyway and that would not be far to a healthy rabbit so i would look for a snuffles bun to pair up, believe it or not there are quite a few out there! so good luck

eve x

Thanks.

I thought that would be the case - am I supposed to just put him on antibiotics when it gets bad? my poor little man.

I called up Bobtails rescue and was told that i needed to get it sorted before i could get another??

I can i find another bun that has the snuffles?

he will always have snuffles i,m afraid and can pass it on to another bunny so you would really have to look at rescuing another bunny with snuffles .
The pasturella virus lies dormant once it has been kept under control with antibiotics but its always there and flares up in times of stress , ill health , dietray changes etc .
Its important to keep the living quarters well ventilated , I stopped using sawdust with cheeky as it made his symptoms worse , also ensure that the straw etc is changed frequently as the amonia from urine affects it too .
I used to use olbas oil with cheeky , put a few drops on a tissue and place it where he cannot eat it :shock: , this will help with the breathing and help clear any snot from his lil nose . It may be worthwhile getting him on pro biotics and also asking the vet for bisolvon to use when the flare ups are really bad . Bisolvon thins the mucus and should help with the discharge from his nose .
You mentioned that you wanted your bunny neutered but I would speak to your vet about this first . As snuffles places a great deal of stress on the body it may not be ideal to get him neutered yet or even at all . Sadly cheeky could not get a mate as he was not a candidate to get neutered as he would not have been strong enough to get done , he did have a few dentals which were very risky but they had to be done .
On the plus side - cheeky took ill at 6 months and he lived to be 6 and a half , through this time we were on and off antibiotics but with careful nursing etc , we controlled it . Sadly tho he did succumb to snuffles in the end :( and the medication was no longer working - I had to let him go , which broke my heart .
Enjoy your little darling and try some of the suggestions above which really did work for me . I,m afraid tho that the snuffles will always be there .

Alfie kennedy said:
Thanks.

I thought that would be the case - am I supposed to just put him on antibiotics when it gets bad? my poor little man.

I called up Bobtails rescue and was told that i needed to get it sorted before i could get another??

we had cheeky on a dosage of 3 weeks on , 1 week off . He was only getting 2.5 ml per day (just a maintenence dose really) and it was increased if his symptoms got worse . This worked tho and kept cheeky well for 6 years . :D

Alfie kennedy said:
Thanks.

i think (bearing in mind i have never (touchs wood) had a snuffles bun) but from what i have gathered from the forum) that yes they need baytril when it gets to bad, but as you gain experience with it you would maybe recongnise the signs, but in the mean time i would recommend consulting your vet,

another idea for getting a snuffles bun would be to put an appeal out requesting anyone that know of a snuffles bun, i think cheryl @sgpr has snuffles buns, i would ask around.

for more advise with the snuffes itself you could pm jay @ ebony eyes she deals with sick and disabled buns so she would be a great sourse of advice!

eve x

Thanks Gina Paul..

Alfie doesn't act poorly but every now again he has sneezing fits and discharge from his nose.

I feel really sad that i may not be able to get him neatured due to his snuffles as my boyfriend is banning him from the flat now and i want to get another one to keep him company as i can't sit out in the garden for hours in the freezing cold.

dunno what to do now :cry: :cry:

Thanks bunnylove, i might call the rescue place and ask if they have any snuffles buns..but now im really concerned that i may not be able to get him neatured.

I asked to vet if i had a really poorly bun and he said i didn't. I am going back in three weeks to see what he says about getting him neatured!

Alfie kennedy said:
Thanks bunnylove, i might call the rescue place and ask if they have any snuffles buns..but now im really concerned that i may not be able to get him neatured.

I asked to vet if i had a really poorly bun and he said i didn't. I am going back in three weeks to see what he says about getting him neatured!

i wouls do that! take there advise first!

Alfie kennedy said:

there are many bunnies that have snuffles who would be an ideal friend for your bunny . Get him strong enough and get this flare up under control then speak to the vet to see about neutering . He,s young enough and otherwise healthy so should be ok but get the vets advice first on whe to do it . The vet will probably advise to build him up first giving him pro biotics etc and then will probably increase his antibiotics etc after the op. It can be done so don,t rule out getting him a friend who has snuffles too . :D

Thanks Gina Paul - i can't wait to get him a girlfriend!!!

At the moment he is inside in the evenings and outside in the run/garden all day and sleeps in his hutch all night.

I am wondering if the change of temperature is affecting it too - our flat isn't really warm but obviously certainly warmer than the outside.

Do you think i should just keep him outside to avoide the change in tempeture?

Sorry for all the Q's but really want to do the best i possibly can for him - thanks all!

I would advise personally keeping him indoors if possible , even if you can section off a part of the room ? If thats not possible then I would be careful when moving him form indoors to outdoors as the change in temperature can cause probs even if your house does not appear to hot .
Is there a quiet bit in the house that an indoor cage can be placed at night ?

Alfie kennedy said:
Thanks Gina Paul..

Alfie doesn't act poorly but every now again he has sneezing fits and discharge from his nose.

I feel really sad that i may not be able to get him neatured due to his snuffles as my boyfriend is banning him from the flat now and i want to get another one to keep him company as i can't sit out in the garden for hours in the freezing cold.

dunno what to do now :cry: :cry:

show your o/h this thread and make him feel really guilty :lol: :twisted:

would love to have him inside at night but there simply isn't any room (plus boyfriend will say no!)

Fortunately the weather isn't that cold at the moment and still mild. Have ordered a snugglesafe thing which will arrive in the next couple of days so will use that in his hutch.

Gina...my boyfriend is sick to death of rabbit talk, i still might meial him this link to make him feel guilty (don't think he will tho the b*stard :lol: )

Alfie kennedy said:
would love to have him inside at night but there simply isn't any room (plus boyfriend will say no!)

Fortunately the weather isn't that cold at the moment and still mild. Have ordered a snugglesafe thing which will arrive in the next couple of days so will use that in his hutch.

Gina...my boyfriend is sick to death of rabbit talk, i still might meial him this link to make him feel guilty (don't think he will tho the b*stard :lol: )

definatetly not now after he finds out what you called him!

Back