• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken nails?

WonderBunn

Alpha Buck
Squishie has just come bounding down her ramp in the hutch and I had a feeling she had hurt herself and it turns out she has.

I found some blood and a nail/claw on the floor. She is licking her foot and then I found another one, I cant pick her up long enough to check and she is so god damn furry to tell easily!!!! She is hopping around ok so I think its just nail damage but I dont want to stress her out too much by keeping picking her up.

Is it ok for rabbits to loose their nails? And is there is anytihng I can do as a mum to helpy her fix her wounds?

Hiya, Sophie lost a nail once, I took her to the vet and they said Keep an eye on it just to make sure that there is no infection. Other than that it should grow back normally!

Hope she is ok! Sophie showed no distress in losing her nail, so I would say that if your bun looks in pain, take her/him to the vets :wink: Just to be sure! :thumb:

She seems ok now, at first I thought it must be hurting her but might have just been a sting like we get when we knock ourselves. Shes walking on her front paws ok. I think she is ok, probably just feeling sorry for herself. Will keep an eye on her though

As far as I'm aware, it's okay as long as infection doesn't get in. If it's bleeding, a bit of cornflour can stop the bleeding.

I spread some corn flower on the floor and kind dapped her front paws on it. She got her big floppy ears in it too though :lol:

I rang my vet in a panic once after Zeus snapped a claw and there was blood everywhere! He just said flour to stop the bleeding and check it doesn't get infected. Zeus' claw grew back just fine!

Caz

Back