• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does he have an ear infection, what's going on?

He keeps shaking his head and earlier on when i was watiching him he was laying down and his head was twitching horisontally. But it only twitched about 5 times and then stoped. If there is something wrong I don't want to wait until it gets worse i want to find out now.

He has also been scratching too. If i look in his ear will i be able to see them? Will he be alright until tomorrow? It is almost night here.

post subject

My boy had an ear infection and it was terrible to see him poorly, please take your bunny asap to the vets, early treatment is the best.

My bun had an ear infection last week.I first noticed it last sunday coz he had a head tilt so i took him to the emergency vets i couldnt leve him untill the monday coz he looked so poorly. If i was you i would take him to the vets.

My mum rang a friend who is a vet nurse. She said that we can just buy stuff from pet shops that are safe for cats and dogs and to bring him in to the vets if he gets worse. :( I don't think that's very right so i will get a second opinion.

Never use medication for cats/dogs on rabbits unless the packaging specifically mentions being safe for rabbits. Frontline for example is a flea treatment for dogs/cats that can kill rabbits!

Please take you bunny to a vet as only they can tell whether it is mites or a bacterial infection and one treatment won't work against the other! It was very wrong of the vet nurse to attempt diagnosis over the phone and in the UK they could have got in serious trouble. Only a vet is allowed to make a diagnosis and prescribe treatment (as far as I am aware) and they will always want to see the bunny first to be certain of the cause!

Caz

I will take him to the vets to get a full check up and vaccination. I looked in his ears and couldn't see absolutely anything. i looked right down as far as I could see. He hasn't kept up with any of the symptoms so i will take him to the vets later on. I will make sure i tell the vet to check his ears.

Would it be alright for me to not take him to the vets until his vaccination is due because he seems fine now. I've only had him a week and this has happened so soon :( he is 8 weeks old so he will be gettin his vaccination in about 4 weeks. I don't want to be a bad owner but if there is nothing wrong i will still have to take him back in 4 weeks.

Are you sure his ears are clean?

When he shook his head did he do it just before jumping/binkying or after being given some nice food?

When his head twitched was he sleeping?

Without seeing your bunny I am wondering if he was just doing normal bunny twitches as now he seems to have stopped.

However I always like to say if in doubt take a trip to the vets.

Caz

I check his ears everyday. Not one single speck of anything.

He doesn't shake his head often and usually does it just when he is sitting grooming himself or nibling hay.

He wasn't asleep when he did that twitching thing but he hasn't done it since either.

Thank u for all ur replies but i think he is alright now but if he does twitch or shake his head more than usual i will tell u and take him to the vets regardless.

Back