• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

tips needed for placing bun on back for nail trimming

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
I'm going to have to trim tobeys little nails soon i think, and he's not an ease to handle to say the least, i never pick him up unless its a necessity as I dont want to constantly handle him when he hates it or otherwise he'll end up never coming near me.

however, i know it's easier to trim nails and things when buns are laid on their back, so has anyone got any tips on the best way to get him onto his back (oo er)?

I was thinking of getting him wrapped in a towel first and then placing him in between some cushions. I have tried to pick him up in a towel before but he's usually hopped away before i've even picked up the sides of the towel to wrap around him!

Any tips appreciated,
thanks.

If you've got someone who can hold Tobey still (the right way up) you may be able to trim his nails just holding one foot at a time. I do this for my rex with just my pair of hands as he hates being turned upside down, and once you're used to it it's quite easy (though have had many years practising with rats - much smaller and wrigglier!)

Hi!

Patches hates being picked up! When he first needed his nails done we took him to the vet and I was amazed at how good he was at being held still on his back... you know when you turn them upside down, 1 hand round their neck and inbetween their front paws and the other hand on their bum. So we tried it at home... Patches still hates it but he stays still long enough to cut his nails... We then get the sulks for half a day but it's worth it!!!! You really need someone to help you. I get my husband to do the clipping whilst I hold Patches... I just tell him when to clip!

Good Luck and be firm!

Best Wishes

Sarah :D

Sophie WILL NOT be picked up. But, she will sit for hours for fuss, I tend to do her nails while she is flopped on the floor loving the attention. She doesn't mind me picking her paws up to clip them then!

To be honest, I ususally get them done at the vets when she gets her boosters! The vet is ace and will usually clip them further down than I will (due to the fear of getting the quick) :D But if they need a little trim, then the above is how I do it! She has a manicure without the stress of being picked up :D :D :D

Good luck xxx

I do it the same way as Loopylop, Jack hates being handled so much, I don't think I'd even be able to turn him on his back. He doesn't mind you picking up his paws and quickly clipping the nails, and its a lot less stressful for him. I don't usually manage to get them all done at once though, it usually takes a few attempts. You can do it by yourself too, which is good as my o/h is not so great at handling animals, so isn't much help! I also get them trimmed while I'm at the vets for boosters.

At the vets they've done it 3 different ways - he's known as being a difficult bunny :oops: - once wrapped him in a towel, once held him on his back (actually it took 3 people that time;the vet and a nurse to hold him, and another to trim his nails), and once did it the same way as me, he just lay down on the vets table and the vet slid out his feet and quickly trimmed his nails :D .

BTW, if you don't already have one, I found making a digging box made a big difference, I don't have to trim Jack's nails as much as he wears them down more himself!!

Good luck!

Hi,

thanks for all the advice! I may actually try to clip them while he is laying flopped out like you say loopylop as he probably wouldn't even notice i was doing it if i was giving lots of fuss at the same time, and if that doesn't work then i will get them done at the vets. I don't think i'll try the popping him onto his back thing unless it is really necessary!

kate, I think I will try to put some big flower pots of earth in his room, as he does like a good dig in towels and things like that so maybe that will help! thanks for the idea :)

What do you use for your digging box? And is it an indoor one? I need to come up with a quite mess free solution and can't think of what to do! But good idea! I did read somewhere once about putting some fine sandpaper on a little ramp for them - like a nail file I guess!

Patches24 said:
What do you use for your digging box? And is it an indoor one? I need to come up with a quite mess free solution and can't think of what to do! But good idea! I did read somewhere once about putting some fine sandpaper on a little ramp for them - like a nail file I guess!

my brother just bought this massive tv, and the box it came in is HUGE, so i'm using that in the lounge as an extra play thing for tobey, but i was thinking it might be good to put the digging box in here as then the dirt can easily be swept up off the cardboard and then put back in the box... maybe you could use something like this to put the digging box on? or an old rug u don't mind getting dirty and can then shake the dirt back in the box after? i would say newspaper but they would probably just chew it to bits/go to the toilet it on it :lol:

The vet sits Sooty between his knees on the floor when he checks him for anyhting but we havent needed nails done yet. I think get them when lying down is the best idea if he lets you..other than that get the vet to help for the first time and you can copy in future

Back