• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Can anyone help with a baby bunny?

Mad_cat_rabbit

Warren Scout
One of the school's rabbits is ill.
The bunny is estimated at 5 to 6 weeks old. Its very small for its age and has had an upset stomach on and off for a week.
We lost its brother to fly strike last week, and as a precaution we have brought it home with us.

Saw my vet and he advised us to keep it warm and supply it with plenty of water (hint of pineapple) and junior bunny food. We also have to monitor its bottom 3 times a day.

At the moment its eating and drinking well, but needs some help keeping its bottom clean, which we are doing with the help of unscented baby wipes.

Is there anything else I could be doing for "little chicken" (don't ask but that's its name :lol: )

Mother is very aggressive towards it and has made it bleed on a few occasions.
Vet recommend us to seperate it (the school vet not mine).

Its got plenty of hay, which I've seen it nibbling on and its got some Russel Rabbit Junior rabbit food. It loves to play with its empty kitchen roll.
The main problem is with its bum, its always matted over with caecal faeces, some of which is dried solid. Have cleaned it in luke warm water with cotton pads and cotton buds on a regular basis. At least at the weekend I can keep an eye on it and clean it every couple of hours with an unscented baby wipe.

Has we lots its brother Crookshanks last week, due to a combination of a sticky bum and fly strike, the school vet recommended it went home with one of us, where we'd be able to give it a better one to one care.

hi

Aww poor little mite :( Often when the mother turns on a baby, she can sense that it's unhealthy. Meanwhile, assuming he's otherwise healthy, I would stop the dry mix totally - just give him lots of nice fresh hay and dried grass to eat, until his bum clears up.

My big problem will be giving the baby bunny back as soon as its healthy.
Little chicken is such a character, it will break my heart.

It looks like a mini Harry, but its ears haven't fulled lopped over yet, just the tops.

Its soooo cute :wink: :wink: :wink:

Why don't you pm Rexy Bexy.... as a breeder she would be able to give you top advice on what to feed a young bun etc. and she may have missed this post. Good luck.

Is your school breeding rabbits? Doesn't sound like they have any idea what they are doing, not a very good example of pet care to set to kids is it? :x

Anyway I hope he gets better soon and I wish the little guy luck!

Make sure baby bun is eating lots of hay and add a probiotic to baby's water (eg Avipro manufactured by Vetark Professional). Believe it or not many branches of the dreaded PAH stock it or your vet should be able to supply a suitable alternative. Failing that you can get water soluble Lactobacillus from most health food stores. Poor baby bun. Good luck. JCO

If you want to bring it up to me and we will see what we can do you are more than welcome. It may be easier to keep him cleaner if is bum is shaved a little, I can do it if you want. Just give me a ring if you need help.
Kay

Beebop said:
Is your school breeding rabbits?

No we were not breeding rabbits. The shed were the rabbits are had females in one pen and males in the other pen. We caught students going on to the farm unsupervised and mixing the rabbits up.

They thought it was funny to see the male rabbits mounting the females. Hence the unplanned litters. The said students have served an exclusion for it and been banned from the back of the school were the farm is situated.

Male and female rabbits now kept in seperate sheds and the gates locked during break and lunch time. Its a shame as we have some really caring students who are always offering to help out, they've all been banned because of the action of 3 boys.

havnt been on for a few days
if its 6 weeks old then it shouldnt need milk as it should be weaned at that age but as long as it has pleanty of hay and food with high fibre, perhaps a probitoic in the water to help its tummy also, its probs very stresses as its away from its family and has been bullied. Mom sounds a bit upset if she is bulling it iv had ill babies but mom has never rejected them.
if its 5 weeks then might need some kind of supliment i think it kiten milk they use but not sure

Mad_cat_rabbit said:
Beebop said:
Is your school breeding rabbits?

No we were not breeding rabbits. The shed were the rabbits are had females in one pen and males in the other pen. We caught students going on to the farm unsupervised and mixing the rabbits up.

They thought it was funny to see the male rabbits mounting the females. Hence the unplanned litters. The said students have served an exclusion for it and been banned from the back of the school were the farm is situated.

Male and female rabbits now kept in seperate sheds and the gates locked during break and lunch time. Its a shame as we have some really caring students who are always offering to help out, they've all been banned because of the action of 3 boys.
Blooming kids :evil: its a shame that some always spoil it for others

Back