• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding disaster

Estelle

Wise Old Thumper
I have just tried bonding Amber with Hobbes and Phoebe after some articles i read on here.
I made a sectioned off area in my garage as none of them had been in there before and put all three in together.
There was plenty of fighting and fur flying between all of them. After a couple of minutes I noticed part of Ambers ear was missing :(
I immediately separated them and they are back in their own homes.
I feel so upset because I put them together :cry:
I have just rang the vet about Amber and she said she can't do anything so just to keep an eye on her in case she is shocked. Her ear doesn't seem to be bleeding and she is eating some carrot now so I think she's ok.
I guess I won't be trying that again and Amber will have to stay on her own :(

Oh dear poor you, that must have been really scary. I wonder if perhaps Amber hasn't been spayed for long enough to be able to bond yet? She might still be a bit hormonal and the other 2 might be able to smell that as well. Maybe it will work if you leave it another couple of months?

Give all the bunnies a nice nose rub from me!

I don't believe in the slightest that the vet cannot do anything for your Ambers ear.
I had a disaster this week with Harry and Pepper's chance meeting resulting in Pepper's ear being torn to shreds.
I took Pepper to the vet, and he said that the best thing to try to do was join the ear back together with a combination of glue and stiches. The vet was very pleased with the results.
Vet said if he'd left it then he could have lost the whole of his ear.

If their are 2 practicing vets at your surgery then ask for a second opinion.
When I get photobucket working I will post a picture of my Peppers war wound.

Its only a piece missing from the end of the ear. I don't know where the bit that is missing went but there is nothing to stitch back on :shock:
I'd take a picture but its throwing it down at the moment. As its emergency surgery hours now she will charge £40 just to look at her. I can't see as they could do anything and it isn't bleeding. She just said to check the wound regularly to make sure its clean and watch out for flies.

My Pepper's was a proper flap, almost went through a large blood vessel in the ear.
He goes back on Tuesday for a check up. He's been good with it so far and hasn't bitten or chewed at the stitches, it is a little inflammed at the moment.

She said the only thing she would do is give her something for shock but as she is eating I think she is ok. Poor bunny. They are so nasty fighting with each other. I was really embaressed telling the vet I'd put them together :oops:
I thought they would have a couple of scuffles but it was full on fighting. Phoebe was fighting with Hobbes too. It was horrible to watch. I don't want to try it again :(

I may have to seperate the dominant bunny out from the rest. Harry is 7 now and getting really aggressive towards new rabbits. When he's not their they all get on very well.

Mine was only a chance meeting, and only because Pepper jumps out his hutch everytime you try to feed him.

hi

oh that sounds scary! - I know when I put Benny with the 5 girls he was shaking like a leaf after 20mins and so was I :shock:

It's likely Phoebe will have taken a firm dislike to Amber now so the best bet would be to get Amber a boyfriend I guess, and let them live seperate lives in wedded bliss? It should be much easier to bond Amber to a neutered male :)

It was scary :shock:
I would love to get her a boyfriend but I can't afford to. They are costing me a fortune as it is. I'd have to get them a bigger hutch or shed and a run. I'll just have to make sure she gets lots of fuss and attention to make up for being on her own.

I would bathe it with salt water to stop any infection or an abcess forming.
Better to be safe than sorry.
I'm talking from experience with my first ever bunny 10 years ago. I will always clean with salt in future just in case.

Best wishes

Maureen

Dear me what a shock for you! Aww poor bunny :( Don't feel embarrassed about telling the vet you put them together, s/he probably already knows its best for rabbits to have friends I'm sure they think you thought it through and did it the right way. Sometimes it just doesn't end up like we'd hope though.
I tried putting my rabbits together a few weekends ago, Rosie bit Jessica's eye and Jessica screamed it was so horrible :( It didn't work out obviously and Jess is still on her own. Do you think there is really no chance of trying to put your rabbits together again? Jessica was in shock afterwards, wouldn't move and just kept licking the floor wherever I put her down :(
I'm sure Amber will be ok, give her a stroke from me ^_^

Back