• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Litter - ideas please

Patches24

Young Bun
Hi Everyone

I was just wondering if any of you had some ideas as to what I can use as an alternative for my bunnies litter. I've tried wood chippings (which I no longer use as it makes Blossom sneeze too much), Carefresh (which seems rather expensive), Hemp bedding (which is also rather expensive). I don't either want to just use newspaper as my naughty babies seem to think it's dinner!
Any ideas of something else?

Thank you

Sarah, Patches and Blossom

I use compressed pelleted sawdust cat litter, it absorbs the odour and can be composted etc.

Megazorb is a cheaper way of buying a Carefresh style litter - it comes in large sacs from places like horse feed suppliers.

Caz

Some people use newspaper or wood chippings with quite a bit of hay on top to discourage them eating the paper or finding the chippings irritating them. A non clumping cat litter can also be used. Hopefully you will find something suitable.

Janice

I use newspaper with hay on top. I buy a big bag of cheap hay from the pet shop to use for the tray and nicer quality hay for eating and it seems to work quite well :D

i use newspaper with a generous ammount of hay on the top and this works brilliantly .... but my bunnies don't eat or rip up the paper

The outside loo has shredded news paper, my shedder cuts it into 2 inch long strips and the inside loo has sheets of blue roll (industrial version of kitchen roll). The buns don't eat the news paper they just shred the blue roll.

You can use non-clumping cat litter? Hmmm...I have been using the clumping kind BUT only underneath a grate so she can't get to it. If you can use regular cat litter then I would consider removing the grate and just using it.

Is it really safe for her to use???

Also, another reason I was using the grate is because she is white and her back end was all yellow when we got her (well, truthfully her whole body was pretty much yellow from being sprayed by another rabbit...yuck!) I put the grate in to keep her cleaner. How do all of you keep your white rabbits white?

I think it would be healthier for her without the grate because then she could eat her cecotropes.

You'd have to make sure that the cat litter only contained wood or paper. Anything with clay, silica, etc. that they use in some cat litters can be harmful if ingested by buns.

Back