• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I live in AUSTRALIA - I want to help, how?

I live in Australia, NSW. I was wondering if anybody knew of ways I could help out. I see topics all the time on here saying that they need someone to help out but i don't think there will ever be anyone posting on here from round where i am. So does anyone know of ways i can help? How would i find a rabbit shelter near where i live? Would the RSPCA let me help out? I am only 14 and a half. I thought coz some of u run shelters and rescue centers maybe u would know of ways?

I hope i put this topic in the right spot.

There may be a rescue which needs help to put rabbits or any other animals on a website or help with creating posters etc which could be emailed to you for editing and then sent back via email.

Someone may come up with something you can help out with.

Janice

That is really smart. I never thought of that side of things. I can do photo editing and html and all that stuff, AND i don't need to live near them...PERFECT.

WOW great sight i would never of found it when i was looking for aussie sites coz it's not .au but many aussie sites aren't coz it's much cheaper. Do u know their username on here? Coz then i can just pm them instead of email.

Thanx it did give me a lead :) I went to their links and searched my country and there were 3 rescue sites that came up, 1 was exactly where i live I couldn't believe it in my city. What is the odds out of 3 places in the whole country that one would be where i live. But unfortunately their site is down at the moment but will be back up soon i think.

Yeah thanx, I just can't wait until the persons site comes back online so i can get contact details to see where exactly in my area they are :)

Hi toffeepudding, it's really great to see more n more young people coming out and helping our beloved furry friends...

I thought I heard that some states in Australia ban their people from keeping rabbits as a pet.. It's very disappointing as some of my bunny pals who is thinking of going over to Australia for their studies had a problem with bringing their beloved bunnies along... Do u have any information regarding this? I think some states do allow rabbits. :p

New south whales allows any number of rabbits with out a permid, Queensland doesn't allow them and have a 30.000 fine and i think in the others u need permits but not sure.

toffeepudding said:
New south whales allows any number of rabbits with out a permid, Queensland doesn't allow them and have a 30.000 fine and i think in the others u need permits but not sure.
QLD is the only state in Australia that has rabbits banned. In Victoria [where I live] you can keep up to 30 rabbits without a licence.

NSW — More than one pet rabbit requires a licence. The licence is free.
VIC — Up to 30 pet rabbits are allowed without a licence.
QLD — Rabbits are banned as pets.
ACT — There are no regulations at the moment although there is currently an investigation into keeping domestic pets. Call the Environment ACT helpline for updates (see number below)
TAS — Up to 10 rabbits are permitted without a licence.
NT — Call the Parks and Wildlife Commission to find out if you are in a declared pest area.
SA — The floor space of a rabbit hutch must not exceed four square metres. Rabbits are not encouraged as pets.
WA — A maximum of two pet rabbits are allowed.

Thanx I wasn't sure, I live in NSW and have never heard of any rules regarding rabbits. It says it on the net but u would think that pet stores would put signs up near the cages otherwise people could brake the law and not realise coz not everyone even has the interenet or would even think about there being a rule.

SA — The floor space of a rabbit hutch must not exceed four square metres. Rabbits are not encouraged as pets.

oops ;)

Who's going to ensure this law anyway, the rabbit police? :lol:

P.S

Did you U.K bunnyhuggers hear that?

Anyone caught owning a rabbit in Queensland is liable to receive a $30,000 fine. :eek:

And no, we're not kidding. :lol:

I really don't like the SA rule, since when can they put a restrction on space? U should be able to take up as much of UR land as u want. I understand about number restrictions but what does it matter if the rabbit is in a bigger area? :roll: Laws need to be more thought out obviously.

Back