• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reaction to VHD vaccine

Rosie Lee

Young Bun
I took our rabbit for her VHD injection on Tuesday. We were warned there might be a localised lump & if it caused any obvious discomfort to take her back. as all our buns including Gilo have had this we knew what she meant, however by evening she had lost a load of fur at the injection sight & her skin was red raw. I took her straight up to the vets & hegave her an antiobiotic injection & some Fuciderm cream for the affected area.
I took her back today & apart from his antiseptic wipe irritating her skin she is much better. I wondered if anyone had experienced this & also he advised me that it might not be safe to give the injection next year as there is only one type licenced in the UK. Thannks.

Rose

yep one of mine had this last year, and my vet said he may not be able to have it this year if it happens again next time :shock: which i am not comfortable with, but then someone else said i means its taken real effect if they get a reaction, so i am now confused!

it happened to bailey and gismo last month . They are just 4 month old now and it was the first vhd vaccine they ever got .
Here is a piccy of baileys back . gismos went the same but not as bad . They are brothers so obviously reacted the same way .
Its all healed up now tho .

P9170103.jpg

Sorry to hear about your bun and hope the sore heals really quick.

Ouch Gina that looks so sore! Glad it healed quickly.

Its strange how some buns have a reaction .... niether VHD or the Myxi jab bother any of my 5 buns.

I have heard through the forum that if they get a bad reaction the first time often they don't get it the second time and end up being perfectly fine with the vaccine. Of course if they had the same reaction a second time then I would be loathed to do it again.

Usually if they get a bad reaction around the injection site it means the rabbit's immune system is highly active so they would probably mount an excellent immune response to the actual virus so in effect the vaccine is more "potent" for them!

Caz

Caz said:
I have heard through the forum that if they get a bad reaction the first time often they don't get it the second time and end up being perfectly fine with the vaccine. Of course if they had the same reaction a second time then I would be loathed to do it again.

Usually if they get a bad reaction around the injection site it means the rabbit's immune system is highly active so they would probably mount an excellent immune response to the actual virus so in effect the vaccine is more "potent" for them!

Caz

never thought of it like that caz, but i am still not sure i would be happy with one of my buns not vacinated, especially as i have so many!

Eve x

hope your bunster feels beta soon :) i visted a lady last week and whilst admiring her bunsters noticed that one of them only had half a nose :( apparently this bunster had a bad reaction to the vhd jab andhalf his nose fell off!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Thanks for all your replies. As this is the second time she has had a reaction (the 1st one wasn't like this) we will think carefully next year, the odd thing is she doesn't react to the myxi jab (touch wood). Looking up on a website it says the vaccine is oil based & I can't help but wonder if that is the problem rather than the actual drugs.

Rose

Yeah the VHD vaccine is a nasty one and my vet had to treat a case (from another surgery) where it had been injected into the muscle by mistake and the poor rabbit nearly lost the use of the leg!

How does your vet give the jab?

Caz

A limp a few days later can happen sometimes too. Must be the muscle thing. Hope everything OK soon

Gilo's was given in the scruff of her neck. It is healing up (touch wood) & she is loving the extra fuss made of her!!!

Rose

:shock: My rabbit had to go back to the vets the day after his VHD cos he'd not eaten or drunk anything and was really lethargic. I didn't notice any inflammation like that though, probably as I was too worried about his lack of movement at the time. :?
All the vet could suggest was some fluids and an injectition to boost him a bit. Said it was probably his bodys way of fighting the virus that was put into him through the jab. My other bun has had no reaction to hers.

It was horrible at the time, but I will still get it done again next year, only keep a closer eye on him. It was his first VHD jab too, so he might be OK next time. I think I'd rather he have a slight side affect that's treatable than not have the jab and get VHD. It's a tough decision to make though, especially when you've seen your beloved buns like that. :(

buns.jpg

It is the oil base of the VHD vaccine that can cause a local reaction in some buns. What can help is to use a different needle from the one used to draw up the vaccine to give the injection, (TACTFUL request to vet giving jab of course...!!). Also gentle massage of the injection sight for a few minutes after vaccine is given. It is also important that vaccine is given sub-cutaneously ( under the skin) not intra-dermally (between the layers of skin) JCO and the 32 'special needs' buns x

Back