• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

balding bunny

bunnylove

Wise Old Thumper
i just visiting my mum and her female bunny had bald patches on the back on her neck :shock: , she says they dont appear to fight (although the female naggs at the male so what (always pestering him to groom him,) so why would she be bald, is there a condition that causes it, or could it be the way she moults :?

any ideas

thanks eve x

Well, my hamster developed bald patches, some of which were quite big.

He was tested for mites but the test was negative. The vet said that he was over grooming himself, and in view of what you wrote in your post, this could be the possible cause for your bunny!

Kate

Does the male tend to mount the female? as I think I read somewhere that when rabbits mate, the male will grab hold of the females hair on the back of her neck and can often pull it out. Don't take my word on this though, as ive no idea where I got this information from.

nic99 said:
Does the male tend to mount the female? as I think I read somewhere that when rabbits mate, the male will grab hold of the females hair on the back of her neck and can often pull it out. Don't take my word on this though, as ive no idea where I got this information from.
yes that is correct
could also be moult

Just a note that with hamsters, bald patches are most commonly a sign of an allergy, usually to pine woodshavings! :shock: But also cancer and mites etc. :wink:

I truly wish I had never replied to this post.

My hamster had balding some 12 months ago, he didn't have cancer and he has still got woodshavings in his cage. His fur has grown back, he didn't have mites and he is now the grand old age of 2 years and 9 months.

It was my vet that said he was over grooming, and that is why I posted as I thought this could be happening with this rabbit.

Kate

Back