• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bio lapis....great stuff for poorly buns

Hi

Just thought I would let you know that when my little Spot went off his food recently (due to our stupidity in giving him a drop of Frontline) and ate hardly anything but a few dandelions for almost a whole week, we got sachets of Bio Lapis from the vets which you make up with water into an isotonic solution. It contains all the vitamins and minerals they need, as well as probiotics, and can be given by syringe if they won't drink.
It kept Spot going (along with the gut motility injections, tummny rubs and dandelion offerings throughout the night), although sometimes he was very keen to have it by syringe (he wouldn't drink from his bowl at all) and at other times resisted (so the dandelions were dunked in the stuff!). 10 sachets cost about £6.

Spot has fully recovered from his ordeal now :D he did have a scary phase of having fits and also went blind for a while (Fiprinol - the active ingredient in frontline, is neurotoxic), but a great rabbit vet inWatford helped after my usual one said nothing else could be done. This was the most expensive flea treatment in history I think - but Spot is worth every penny of about £250! :shock:

I'm pleased to hear that little Spot has recovered fully :D It's one of those hard lessons to have learned but at least Spot is ok :D

very glad spot is ok but i think this highlights the dangers of a little knowledge, if you are not sure then dont, vets are there to advise , they may not all be bunny specelists but they still know what can and carnt be given.Just a word of warning :D val

Glas he's ok. We use Avipro with Squidgy, he's little prone to the odd tummy trouble, and it does sort him out!

yes it was Guy Carter :) he rang the poisons centre who had reports of cats going temporarily blind, and a squirrel that had had fits, and they suggested a course of steroids (1 mg prednisolone tablets) to reduce inflammation in the brain. He also prescribed antiobiotics as a cover in case it was a brain abcess causing the fits, and also did a blood test to see if his other organs were ok (liver disease can also cause fits) - they were all fine luckily, and Spot got his sight back that night and hasn't had another fit since.... fingers crossed he will be fine from now on. :lol:

Back