• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mixi outbreak

taylor v 109

Mama Doe
essex is in the grips of a mixi epidemic with one vet in a day having to pts 6 rabbits , some of them had had there jabs :cry: be warned. val

hi

I found a mozzy in my bedroom last night so they are getting past my defences :x

I don't let the girls out for a run at tea time any more either as it suddenly gets to dusk at about 6.30, and out come the mozzies :?

Oh wow! Thanks for that Val, I'm in the middle of Essex and my vet last week said they haven't seen a single case of myxi this year - perhaps there's a late burst coming :cry:

I'm pretty sure I saw a wild rabbit with myxi in Leicester a few days ago. His/her eyes looked really red and swollen. Poor thing was only a youngster.

myxi

Hi val :) do you know what parts of essex are being affected :?: I am lucky as my vets phone me if there is an outbreak near me so far they havn,t so will keep my fingers crossed :(

not at the moment it was posted on the rabbit breeders board ill find out for you . the person who posted was in camberly and there was another out break as normal in canvey . its so bad there that some breeders in the area are giving up. They get it year after year there. va

Just had 1 up here today :cry: . He was with one of my foster carers, he was being fostered for 6 months while his owner is moving house. They brought him to see me and I only had to take one look at him to know what it was, I went with them to the vets this morning to have him pts :cry: . I didnt even touch him or get him out of the carrier because I didnt want to risk any of the bunnies here. They had only just come to pick up 4 more foster bunnies from me this morning but when they got back they found him with his eyes all swollen and pussy, because the bunnies only arrived last night they had no protection so had to be rushed up my vets this afternoon for myxi vacc. Not been a very good day here :cry:

yep i'm afraid we have it close to us too, at burton joyce and stoke bardolph in nottingham. a friend of mine had to have 3 of hers pts on wednesday. :cry: she is gutted.

?

Mxyi is nearly always to be seen in the wild buns around Fosse Park nic. :(
Mxyi vac helps but is not 100%..they can still get it..but can stand a better chance of survival

If you live anywere near a wild rabbit population then your at risk, think it wouldnt be a bad idea to post the first symptoms here incase any one dosent know. It usualy starts with swelling of the genetals and inflamation and swelling around the eyes. val

There is an article in my local paper today saying that a local vet has said that there is a massive myxi outbreak around the Maldon/Burnham-on-Crouch/South Woodham/East Chelmsford area of Essex at the moment. Given that Burnham is close to the river, I'd say it's possible that the disease could cross the river down to the Wickford/Rayleigh/Southend area, so please make sure your bunnies vaccinations are up to date!

You guys in the U.K are fortunate to be able to vaccinate your rabbits against myximatosis.

Here in Australia, we are not only banned from getting the vaccine into the country, the government periodically releases strains of Myxi into the environment to try and curb the ever growing population of wild feral rabbits in Australia.

Our rabbits are at the mercy of myxi - but at least we have the calicivirus vaccine available now.

Apparently farmers here in the UK are now wanting to re-introduce Myxi into the wild rabbit population cos Farmers claim rabbit population is out of control and they are losing too many crops....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr JCO

myxi

Hi JCO :) I heard that too :( if they release another strain then none of our vaccines will be effective against it :( its scarey :shock: think we should lobby our MP,s to try to find out if this is going to happen :(

Back