• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

any ideas ?

gina paul

Mama Doe
right , bailey has managed to get his lampshade off . I can,t get it back on so i,ve to take him to the vets tomorrow again . He,s been at the stitches tho . What can I do tonight ? I don,t really want to cover it with a bandage !

oh gina,just been through this for 2 weeks with 2 buns,oscar being the last!other vets i spoke to said it was ok especially if it was the last resort option to bandage as long as it was changed daily,as your going back tom i would be inclined to do this,otherwise you will have to sit up with him all night as my oscar had external and internal stitches out within 15 mins!!!these bunsters are quick especially when the little ******* know your not watching them!!

i don,t think i,ve got a tshirt that small :shock: , i did think about bandaging him tho :?
I,ve just put their supper in and thats occupied him . I,ve had to separate them as gizzy wasn,t only trying to mount him but he was also giving him a hand getting to the stitches. Gizzy has got his stitches out . he done that at the vets . He,s ok tho and he,s not bleeding :?

Gina have you got some conforming bandage?? If so use that as it wont stick to the wound and he'll be back at the vets tommorow XX

hi

what a nightmare Gina :shock:

I've heard that a clean tea towel held in place with the leg of a pair of cut up tights (ie tube of nylon) is a good bandage - but I guess he'll chew through a bandage pretty quick too.

Did the vet use invisible stitches? My vet says she uses a stitch at a time, rather than a continuous line of stitching, so that if they pull one they don't pull the lot out - and they are internal with the knot inside so nothing to grab onto.

Hope he gets too tired to chew soon - maybe it's irritating him if it's getting infected? Has he had antibiotics? I've got to go feed the 27 beasties now - hope someone can help :)

yeah they are on anitbiotics and as far as i,m aware its both internal and external stitches . Gizzy has zonked out , bailey is looking like he wants to fall asleep but keeps fighting it.
I,ve got them both in the bedroom right beside my bed . I,ll check them every half hour , even if it means putting my alarm on so it goes off every half hour during the night .

My dog use to rip her skin apart if she got a single flea bite and the vet told me to put Sudocrem on it to help it heal AND she didn't like the taste of it so she stop munching wound.

It shouldnt be a problem if he chews his stitches out unless he starts chewing the wound as well. My vet never stiches up castrates anymore. He just leaves the wound open and within a week the testicle sack is shriveled up.

Cheryl

Back