• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

slightly worried about droppings...

bubble

Young Bun
Jiggy was running around the living room this evening, when we noticed there marks on the carpet when she moved. These are the only two we can see, and we are now a bit worried about what it might be!!

I have put a photo on, hoping someone may have a better idea, rather than me trying to describe it!! (slightly yuck i know!!)

Thanks

Bubble

bunnyRSmall.jpg

I have put a photo on, hoping someone may have a better idea, rather than me trying to describe it!! (slightly yuck i know!!)

Thanks

Bubble

OK this is even MORE YUK but have you smelt it :roll:

It looks a bit like cecals do when they have been squashed and scraped up from the carpet (The poops buns are meant to eat)

Some one else should be able to give you some more advice.

Gem x

i would agree with gem......looks like trodden in poo!!!! :oops: :oops: i have 1 bunster that always seems to do this!!!

Definitely looks like a messy bottom sitting on the carpet, my rabbit suffers from sticky bottom syndrome and we get stains exactly the same on our carpet. Usually when we pick him up and check him after seeing these stains, he has a lump of poo stuck to him.

my bun used to leave me messes like this on my carpet when she was in season (which was basically all the time!) I have since had her spayed and i haven't looked back!

helenmemu said:
my bun used to leave me messes like this on my carpet when she was in season (which was basically all the time!) I have since had her spayed and i haven't looked back!

Rabbits don't 'leak' when they're in season like dogs do, so perhaps it was a slight womb infection or something causing the discharge, and spaying fixed it.

rabbits do not have periods, they only release eggs when theve been mated.They do get broody and want to mate ,this is when they get very red vulvers but if there not mated thats the end of it there should be no secresions. val

oh my goodness!

I just presumed thats what it was so i got her spayed...... very odd.... i wonder what it was then....... she used to spray alot so maybe it was part and parcel of that.

Definitely looks like where caecals have got squashed to me.

If I were you I'd check under her tail - make sure it's not dirty and that's where she's been sitting. I think you said your O/H cleared it up - did it look like a squashed caecal (squidgy poo)? As someone suggested (disgusting as this sounds) caecals have a very distinctive smell, so if it happens again, see if it has a strong smell.

If it is caecals it's probably cos she's only new at your house and hasn't got her routine sorted out with regard to when she produces them. Once she's settled in you'll probably find she's more organised and eats them properly :roll:

Back