• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Messy Bum

Sarah_Jane

Alpha Buck
Not mine, but Honey's!

It started when i noticed a sloppy poo when we was bonding them and i got told it was proberly where she was nevous.

When i got her home she seemed ok, the next morning she was pretty messy down below. I took her to Sandra at the RSPCA and she took her to the vets. The vet thinks she fine, but this morning she was pretty messy and smelly so i read about using baby wipes on their bums, so i did this. Seems like her fur is pretty long around there and it clots in her fur!

Would you suggest i tried to cut down her hair abit?

Sometimes it can be that they are getting too much dried food in their diet and they get sticky botties so you could try cutting down on that. Conversely, it could be slightly too much veg so you could, in turn, try cutting down on that - the more hay you can get her to eat the better. It could also be partly due to the change of location, bunnies are delicate little creatures.

My little Robbie sometimes gets a sticky bottom but he is an ol guy. And Florence and Bailey do too but it does seem to be improving as I am cutting them down a tad on their veg - hate doing it but it is for the best. Another thing I have done recently is changed back to Science Selective from Herbs and Fibre, I think it seems to be better for their gut and has a nice whopping amount of fibre in it!! Hope this helps a bit. :D

Thanks for getting back to me Lizzie!!

I thought that it might be all the stress of moving ect like you said, so i'll give her a few more days to settle in and just keep an eye on her! If she hasn't inproved then i'll try doing what you said about cutting down on the dry food. But the RSPCA told me to lay off greens for now!

Thanks for you advice on that, i'll update you in a few days time :)

Hi Squidgy used o be prone to a sticky bottom, but (touch wood!) he's been great since we regulate his greens carefully - same amount every day, and he gets excel pellets, which has helped greatly/ Baby wipes are great, aren't they?

What is she fed on?
Quite a few young buns at work have problems when on Russel Junior (lots of caecal poos from not enough fibre), but then suffer upset tummies when we change them onto Excel Junior (over 10 days). We've found the best food to be Science Selective, it's very easy on their tums and has sorted out all our dodgy tum problems.
My bun Joey kept getting a messy bum when he was younger, I put him onto SS and every time I tried to introduce Excel it would happen again, so I just stuck to SS and plenty of hay.

hi

Sci Selective's good too because it contains a probiotic - she's probably got an imbalance in the gut bacteria at the mo, so you could put some probiotic on her food - from your vets or from Noah's cupboard site - Lay off the greens like you say, and she should only be having about a handful of pellets a day if she's adult Nethie (can't quite remember - sorry if I'm wrong on that!) Any more and the excess protein will make her do too many eating poops - far more than she can manage to eat.

I wouldn't trim the fur as rabbit skin is very delicate and tears easily - a vet can shave it for you better.

It could just be nerves but it's likely to be diet as well as nerves.

Back