• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

volunteer help needed...Barnsley

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
wasnt sure where to put this post so put it here.. sorry if its in wrong place.
my sister and myself deal with most of the rabbits that come into B.A.R.C.
we feed house groom and take them to vets. it is hard work but we love every minite. because neither of us drive we have rely on our other halves for any thing which involves transport . This has been ok up to now but because of work commitments and my sisters child being ill we now need some help if we are to carry on as we are. if we do not get this help we will have to scale down our rescue work which would be a shame as we are already turning buns away.

we desperatly need volunteers who could help with ...

taking buns on routine vet visits eg, to be spayed or vaccinated.

picking up food and bedding supplies from barnsley town centre.

taking bags of cleaning out rubbish to the tip.

doing follow up checks on our adopted bunnies.

or even hands on help with cleaning ,grooming etc.

if you could spare even a small amount of time to help us please pm me and i will get in touch .

thanks Angie

well i knew it was a long shot! is there no one out there who lives around here and is willing to help? :?

i can pay you in bunny cuddles :p

If I lived nearer and could drive I'd definately help out, but unfortunately don't do either
Good luck getting help though

/

no replies to this..I'm shocked :shock: ...there must be at least one person near you who would love to help out!

help

Hi Louise,

i live in Hoyland , Barnsley and i work full time as a childminder till 6 every night . My partener Mick works shifts at a window factory. I dont drive which makes things realy difficult as i have to rely on Mick for transport. When buns need the vet this is especialy difficult. buns going in for neutoring need taking in in the morning and picking back up at night which mick can only do one way.
Up to now weve managed because my sister also does the rescue work and her husband will help although he works hard with his own taxi buisness and is usualy working or busy. Now my sisters youngest daughter is in hospital and she doesnt know if she can carry on with the work as things stand. This throws more work at me and Mick.
I will plod on if i have to but not sure how long we can manage single handed.

we get our supplies from a wholesaler in Barnsley town centre at the moment and have to go in about once a week as we cant fit enough in our car.
we use a vet at high green for most things including spays and neutores .

I can just about keep up with cleaning etc but if my sister finishes .. well :cry:

It would be great if you could help no matter how.
if you re too far away or cant help dont worry . we ll soldier on :roll:

Angie

Maybe u could put a topic in "rabbits in need", more people might post if u put yorkshire in the title so people from around there know that u r too. just an idea. It's just many people probably viewed this topic but didn't live near u, and people that did live near u probably thought it was for a different area or something. Just an idea.

Hiya,

A couples of ideas:

Is there an animal ambulance running in your area? They take peoples pets back and forth to the vets - presumably for a charge but perhaps you could talk them into a few free trips as you're a rescue? Here's one service but I'm sure there are others: http://www.petpals.com Maybe try the yellow pages or ask in the vets.

A notice in the vet practice itself might attract a volunteer in the local area.

Another thing would be to ask the vets/vet nurses at the practice you use. There is always the off chance that one might live near you and could pick up rabbits for neutering on the way to work and drop them on the way back.

For cleaning volunteers you could try contacting local colleges/upper schools as you might find a student that likes animals and can spare a few hours. There are sometimes organisations that organise volunteers - possibly your local library/advice centre might know of ones in your area.

You could also try an ad in the local school newsletters to see if there is anyone willing to do the food run. Perhaps there is a mum (or dad) with a car that would swap a couple of hours of children free shopping for bringing the rabbit food back with them? If you have a local childminding group wih a newsletter you could try advertising there too - if you have the spaces then you could care for their children whilst they did their shopping and brought the food home for you too.

Good luck!
Tamsin

hi

great ideas Tamsin - I was thinking of a pet taxi/animal ambulance that could do a trip to the vets - With the wholesalers why not hire a white van once a month? Or would storing it be a problem?

Now I feel guilty about you taking Saturday up bringing me Tansy :oops: Would you prefer me to get a taxi up to Barnsley some time to fetch her? No guinea pig napping opportunity then either - I've really been losing sleep over that one :shock: :p

ELVE. dont be daft wouldnt miss a piggie napping expedition for any thing.
No seriously its weekdays that are a problem not so much weekends. see you tomorrow ..Angie

LOUISE.thanks for your offer have pm d you

TAMSIN . Thanks for those ideas .

may i be of assitance ?

Hi Angie :)

I've only just seen this post, I live in Barnsley and have 2 house rabbits of my own. I drive and do have some free time.

I WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU OUT. If you mail me back we can arrange to talk further

Vicky xx

PS just going out now for an hour or so just in case you post & i dont reply straight back. :D

I'm not so close, but if there is any other way I can help, ie paperwork or something, please pm me, sorry I can't be of more help.

Back