• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when to seperate?

deb

Young Bun
After many different web sites i am now completly confussed as to when i should seperate male and female buns some say 8 weeks others 3-4 months, can anyone please help.

Baby buns can leave their mums at 8 weeks, male bunnies become fertile at around 12 weeks so should be separated sometime between the two. Ideally though, bunnies should never be kept alone so it may take a bit of logistics to work out who is safe to go with who!

Female bunnies don't usually get fertile for another couple of months (but don't bank on it!) but a boy could definitely get his mum pregnant from around 12 weeks! Hope that helps.

sexing is the hellish part tho!...i took my litter of 8 kittens to the rspca centre...and i gave my aunt wht i was told were two girls....yet a months or so down the line one had had babies.....and then a second litter

8 weeks. Boys do get fertile at 12 weeks and i THINK but don't quote me on it Females is around 14 weeks up wards.

Picked up the mum from the vets yesterday afternoon she was there to be spayed, and when i asked the nurse how long i should keep her away from her 8 week old sons (to avoid any damage to her op area) she told me they should have already been seperated from her as males are able to breed from 5 weeks!!!!!!!(have'nt heard that one before)

I think seperating around 8 weeks is a good age. They should stil be with their mum at 5 weeks! It varies because different breeds mature faster. A little breed might be fertile at 10 weeks whether as large breeds are late developers :D

Tam

Back