• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post operative questions....

xSarahx

Warren Scout
...can anyone tell me if I should be worried?

Got Ludo home after being neutered. He hadn't eaten all day at the vet's & has only eaten a handful of timothy hay, some apple & his mineral lick since being back. Is this enough? He doesn't seem interested in his pellets.

He's drinking & weeing, but not pooping at all. Is this a concern? Or is it a natural reaction to the op? He is 2 1/2 years old, not a baby.

He's really sleepy & grumpy still. Is this normal?

I haven't checked the wound yet because he was so stressed out from the whole vet experience. I will check it later today though. What should I be looking for?

Anything else about bunny post op recovery I should know?

I posted most of this in another thread, but I'm really worried about my baby so hopefully someone can help.

Mainly you are looking for swelling around the wound area, or checking for weepeing/bleeding or if it has opened up. The area should be kept clean with no hay etc stuck to it.

Some rabbits recover faster than others if he still hasn't pooed or eaten much by tonight then you may need to take him back to the vets. Have you tried all his favourite foods e.g. herbs and vegetables?

As long as he is eating something that is a good sign, the lack of poos is worrying though. Hopefully there will be a nice big pile when you check later.

Caz

If Ludo was neutered yesterday he really shouldn't be very sleepy today, the anaesthetic should have worn off by now.

If he is not eating properly, can you tempt him with some dandelion leaves and some freshly picked grass. I often find mine go nuts for that and with lots of little treats being hand fed to them they should start eating. A number of our rabbits we get neutered take a little while to get back to normal with their diets. If you have a probiotic that can be useful to them. Certainly if they are not eating more by this evening give your vets a ring and ask for their advise. Male rabbits normally tend to have less problems with eating than the females and usually are eating ok by the evening on the second day.

Janice

He's a very sleepy bunny in general & catnaps throughout the day time usually anyway.

I called the vet already & they said if I was worried to bring him in today. Thing is he is eating a bit of hay if I hand feed him, & I'd rather not unsettle him again unless he looks like he's not perking up.

I have a follow up appointment at the vets tomorrow so I figured I'd let him have a day without the stress of the journey & being poked when he gets to the clinic.

I will check his wounds this evening when he's more active.

Thank you to everyone for your help & advice :)

Have you tried giving him dandelion leaves? They seem to work wonders post op. Its the only thing Amber would eat for about 3 days afterwards.

We are right in the heart of the city. The only leaves that grow in the garden are out the front by the main road, & they're probably full of toxins.

He's a bit fussy when it comes to food. He only likes pellets, timothy hay, apples & carrots. His total favourite is lettuce but I know people have mixed opions on feeding it. He has never had any problems eating it in small quantities. I might go to the oragnic veg shop in a mo & treat him to some nice fresh, dark, leafy goodness! Just to get him munching again!

Still no bunny currants in his cage yet :( Never thought I'd be so upset about that of all things! I'll get so probiotic while I'm out on the bunny food run. How do I feed the probiotic by the way?

You can get probiotics from a vet or if you are getting it as part of a first aid kit you can buy it on line.

Some people sprinkle a little on their fresh food or on some grass, other people put it in a small amount of water and let them drink it out of a bottle.

Janice

Back