• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

what can I expect today ?

gina paul

Mama Doe
bailey and gizzy are coming home today after being neutered and I don,t know what to expect or how to treat them ? I,ve kept bunnies for over ten years but never had one neutered let alone two at the same time :shock:
I,m getting all stressed out , any advice guys ?

You need to do everything to keep them as stress free as possible, such as treat them normally in their normal enviroment. Lots of treats to tempt them to eat, easy access to water. You can give probiotics to aid the digestive system post operatively. Observe them for eating, drinking and pooing. They require somewhere clean, dry and free of particles to lay on. Y

More importantly check their wound for signs of increased redness, any oooze and increased amount of swelling at least twice a day. If any of these occur do telephone and speak to the vets.

Janice

Oh Gina...wish I could help...I have only had a wee Jack Russel done!! Just wait till the rest read this

The aneasthetic should have warn off by now so other than possibly being slightly quiet but most likely notice absolutely no difference at all.

Tam

just take it slow. I've only had mady spayed so not sure if boys react differently to girls from this type of op - but mady wasn't herself for a while. just try and keep they comfortable and check they are eating and drinking. It's all quite stressful ! but they will soon be blinking around the place :D

i,ve removed the digging box as this was full of barley n stuff from the farm , i,ve also put some vetbed in their cage amd removed all the stuff that could irritate their wounds. Should I remove the straw from the litter tray ?

If they normally have straw in the tray leave it there for them, they have the vet bed to lie out on if they want to.

Janice

Hi Gina,

I wouldnt worry about today. When I had Elvis neutered he was just quiet for a few days. I basically left Elvis alone, apart from the odd stroke and kiss. I checked on him every so often to make sure he had eaten, drank and pooped.

He had his incisions (sp) glued together, they didnt use stitches so he didnt have the chance to pull at anything.

They`ll be fine Gina, probably really glad to see their mummy! :D :D

Bobby was a bit dopey when he came home, but he was back the same day. I brought him into the garage to keep warm, and he ws eating and drinking almost back to normal. I just made sure he had somewhere comfy to sit.

when i brought smokey home he was abit quiet then normal didn't eat very much, but then he isn't a very big eater any way, he soon picked up after a while bailey and gizmo should be ok for warmth if they are already indoor bunnies, smokey lives outside, so i kept him in for a coulpe of weeks, even after he had his after op check up.

Hi Gina,

I had my two girls done about a month ago. They were a bit quiet for a couple of days, but were soon back to normal. The vet said to limit their exercise for a week or so, but they weren't having any of it :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure everything will be fine - they will be as mischeivous as normal in no time!!

i really want to get gucci spayed...i rang up today to find out how much it cost and she said £55...is this the average price?

I think thats a reasonable price, it cost me £45 to have Elvis neutered.

I think the price varies across the country

Ive never had a female bunny to be honest but i think (correct me if im wrong all you bunny people) the risk of them getting cancer later on is far greater than the risk of the operation.

really...ive heard tht too but i had two sisters when i was like 9...and they lived till they were...7 i think...and i never had to take them to the vet once..and they wernt spayed...i guess it depends....i really want her to be spayed..and i was wondering...if i get her spayed...would she get on with a young female rabbit? could i bond her with an unsoayed female which was only just from the pet shop

Back