• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

myxi in wentworth village s yorks

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
had a poorly stray bun brought in today. i knew as soon as i looked in the box that there was no hope . it had advanced myxi and was in a shocking state . i phoned the vet so we could take it in to have it put to sleep but it died before we got there.
its the first time ive seen myxi in real life and it was awful . the poor thing was in a shocking state . ive seen pictures and heard descriptions but it was far worse than i imagined . its poor eyes were stuck shut with balls of pus as big as ping pong balls.
the poor lady who brought it in had tried other rescues and no one seemed to want to help and she was very upset when i said there was no hope for it.
this happened at teatime , its now 11.35 pm and i cant stop thinking of the poor thing suffering. it was a black rabbit so it wasnt a wild one unles it was a cross with an escaped pet. was it a bun who had escaped or had some one let it go instead of taking it to the vet when it began to show signs of being ill .i suppose we ll never know.

Angie

Aw poor bunny! I think black rabbits can be wild..i remeber reading about it some. but i could be wrong. at least it's left its suffering
~binky free~

yup was released to control the wild rabbit population think about 30+ years ago. apparently farmers thought there were too many wild buns eating their crops.
apparently some farmers are calling for it reintroducing as rabbit nmbers are on the increase again.

:evil:

Poor bunny :(

You do get black rabbits in the wild, it wasn't necessarily a pet or mixed, I've seen loads of them, particularly up north.

Myxi was introduced in 1954, I read it killed 95% of Britain's wild rabbit population then.

MUST ADMIT NEVER SEEN A BLACK WILD RABBIT MYSELF BUT THAT WOULD EXPLAIN WHY IT HAD GONE UNTREATED AND ENDED UP IN SUCH A STATE.
ANGIE

My neighbour was telling me she had a black rabbit about 60 years ago that one day escaped into fields behind her house and she never caught it again but did see it for months afterwards with some wild rabbits. Maybe thats where black wild rabbits come from! :?

Back