• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny sat in vinegar...

allyandtobey

Alpha Buck
i was just cleaning up some wee with white vinegar thinking tobey was busy grooming over the other side of the room when suddenly he came up behind me and sat in a pool of vinegar, i moved him away asap but he must have got some on his bum, i then tried to wipe the area with water but he wasn't having any of it but i had a feel and it felt dry in that area so i'm hoping he didn't get any on him, but a) it wouldn't burn his botty would it (or testicles for that matter) and b) if he grooms any vinegar off that area, will he be ok on the inside?

any advice appreciated!

Speaking of vinegar and cleaning up wee, is that the best thing to get odours out of carpet etc? It's just I put some down on the rug which Oli has taken to weeing on lately and he weed on it even more. I don't know what to do. He could have chosen the cheap Ikea rug to wee on but instead he prefers our brand new and very expensive John Lewis rug. What should I do? I heard bio washing liquid was also good - I need to sort it out because it's driving me insane. b-m

PS I hope your bunny is ok, I'm sure vinegar won't hurt him.

bunny-mad said:
Speaking of vinegar and cleaning up wee, is that the best thing to get odours out of carpet etc? It's just I put some down on the rug which Oli has taken to weeing on lately and he weed on it even more. I don't know what to do. He could have chosen the cheap Ikea rug to wee on but instead he prefers our brand new and very expensive John Lewis rug. What should I do? I heard bio washing liquid was also good - I need to sort it out because it's driving me insane. b-m

PS I hope your bunny is ok, I'm sure vinegar won't hurt him.

Here you go, a good cleaning tip:

Freshening and deodorising a carpet
How to: For general deodorising, we advise using homemade carpet deodorizer on a monthly basis, or as needed. The carpet should be treated in the evening and left overnight. Mix the following ingredients: 1/2 cup baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) 1/2 cup cornflower 15 drops of your favourite essential oil fragrance. Work the mixture into the carpet with a stiff brush, leave and vacuum the following day. Sprinkle after you tinkle!

PS. I havent tried it tho :?

heh my personal tip is to not keep the bunny in a place with things you don't want ruined ;)

thanks for the help i'm glad it didn't do any harm!

allyandtobey said:
heh my personal tip is to not keep the bunny in a place with things you don't want ruined ;)

thanks for the help i'm glad it didn't do any harm!

That's a bit difficult when they're free range unfortunately. b-m

bunny-mad said:
That's a bit difficult when they're free range unfortunately. b-m

i know it was just an ironic joke as i know that buns get stuck into any old thing, however much u bunny proof!

no affence to anyone who has house bunnies...but how do you cope with all there **** everywhere...i mean you say they are litter trained...but are they completely or do you still get the odd poo....i jst coudnlt cope knowing they had weed sumwhere..and i hadnt found it ...do they make good house pets....as good as cats....altho our cats are gettin old now...and incontinent...and i know i cnt cope wen shes crapped in the corner...usually wen i forget to thro her out at night...ill find it in the morn...but 9 times out of 10 shes alwasy gone outside...but ive never really known if its 100% possibly for rabbits to be litter trained?
plz correct me if im wrong...and i no for a fact sum1 will on here lol :lol:

I would recomend a house bunny to anybody, Coby is cpmpletely house trained, he NEVER pees or poos anywhere excpet his tray, the only time he has done otherwise was after getting a new rug, its the new smell that does it I think, he only did a few wee poos, marking it as his territory and that was it.

Bunnys can be very clean, more so than dogs or cats I think

the only time i get poos anywhere but the litter box is when tobey jumps out of them (they are on the settee :roll: ) and they come with him, the other good thing about rabbits is if they DO wee somewhere, they only do a small amount, not a big puddle like cats or dogs so it can be cleared up, although it is a rather bright colour :lol: but white vinegar removes it completely i have found. tobey has the lounge all to himself and i've got rid of anything i don't want wee'd on, so it doesn't matter really! but to get to the point here :roll: they can be litter trained, and neutering does help this as they are less teritorial and so will be less likely to wee in places just because they feel like it, and in nature they always use one area for going to the toilet and keep it away from their living quarters so they're pretty neat and tidy in this sense. they can also be litter trained at any age!

cazza269 said:
I would recomend a house bunny to anybody, Coby is cpmpletely house trained, he NEVER pees or poos anywhere excpet his tray

Same with Sophie :D O/H once forgot to open her door to her dog crate after cleaning her out and she sat next to the door bless her and wouldnt move until he remembered and opened the door! She then ran in and the look of relief was hilarious! :lol:

i dunno...ive found rabbit wee hurendous...and it smells awful! gucci weed on the sofa to my distgust lol...and it went white!!..shes not spayed so i think it was marking against our cats or sumthing...but even so cats and dogs mark in doors...altho wen they are pups they are hurendous...i will say tht lol!
i love rabbits...but i couldnt keep them indoors...id be constantly worried wher ethey were and wht they were up to or chewing...gucci has the whole garden to wonder...wens shes not escaped to next door!...i still cnt find where shes gettin thru!... :? :lol:

Back