• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

is my vet right??

Michelle

Warren Scout
i just took joey to the vets for his myxi. she asked what type of food he was on and i said dried mix, but then she said that rabbits shouldnt eat any dried food or pellets, they should live on just hay and occaisonally a small amount of veg!
is she right??

Yep. In the wild Bunnies don't eat dry food their staple diet is grass. Hay should make up the majority of the diet, but I do give my bunnies A&P. Your bunny shouldn't fill up on dry food, because they wont eat their hay other wise. Hay is very good for theit teeth and it's high in fibre (OMG I wish I could spell :lol: )

sorry tree,confused!(does'nt take much!) :? :? did you mean they should'nt fill up on dry food or should????

:lol: my fault. No they shouldn't fill up on dry food. Hay should be the main part of their diet and I give a little bit of dried food as a treat :D

Technically that is sort of true. Rabbits can live quite happily on hay and veggies BUT you need to provide a wide range of different veggies and not just small pieces. A wild rabbit doesn't just eat grass (hay) they eat a whole range of different plants. It's important your rabbits get all the vitamins/minerals it needs and feeding a small quantity of dry food helps ensure this.

It's also important if your rabbit is a house rabbit as dry foods generally contain vitamin D3 which rabbits would usually get from the UV from sunshine. Indoor rabbits don't get this so they need it in their diet instead.

Tam

In the wild rabbits do not eat mix, they live entirely on dried and fresh grasses, roots, hay and any vegetables they can find either in allottments or in farmers fields. In captivity they do not get the opportunity to get all the grass / roots that they need, fresh hay should be available at all times and shuld make up about 80% of their daily diet. My feeling is that they need some dry food but not as much as many people give them, many people give them twice the amount that manufactorers recomend. Pelleted food is far better than the mix forms where rabbits can selectively feed. Fresh vegetables is also required but not in huge quantities.

Janice

janice, would yoube so kind as to give us a range of fresh veggies i seem to get the usual commen ones!! :) :)

Back