• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Talking of rabbit fleas :o(

5cutebunnies

Mama Doe
I have taken Panzy to the vets this morning as he seemed a little under the weather :cry: and I had noticed that the fur on his back was looking rather thin thought it was a bad moult ..... anyway to cut a long story short he has fleas :shock: we could see about three dark tiny spots the size of a pin head (looked like specs of dirt) but if you stared long enough they moved.

The vet gave him an injection and he has to have another two injections 10 days apart .... I have forgotten what she said it was called :roll: But she has advised that Bernard and Binky have the course of injections too as they all live together, though i see no signs of any problems on them.

So is it usual to treat all the buns that live together?

Yep Scooby was covered with mites when she came to me, but Zippy didn't have any noticable signs, but they werre both done.

Thanks SOAD did they clear up ok after the injections?

Luckily we found it very early on like i say we could only see 3. Thank goodness Panzy's has a lot of white fur, the mites must be a nightmare to see on darker fur :shock:

Yep totally clear after then second jab, but had to do a third. Get a fly comb and give a good groom it should get rid of the dandruff type stuff.

will do thats a job for my daughter tonight then ..... she can do it while she reads them their bedtime story ..... bless her she reads to them every night ..... I have a text on my phone from her that I shall keep for ever it goes ......

" Still in the bunny shed with the boys almost finished the story, only Panzy is listening he is loving it"

Bless her eh?

Awww Julie! Thats so sweet! I treat the bunnys on a regular basis with flea powder as i couldn't afford to get all of them treated at the vets! Was it panacur that they gave him? if so it is great stuff! it will clear him up in no time!

I have no idea what she said phill it went in one ear and out the next :roll: Hopefully it will clear quickly the other two are going on friday as I already had an appointment for pixie (staffy bull) to have her booster injections. Looks like another expensive month :roll:

Do you treat the buns wether they have fleas or not? I said how has he manged to get this and she said that the fleas can come in on the hay :shock:

Fleas can travel a far distance on stuff befor ethey die and if they get to an animal before that then they will get them. I treat all ours wether they have fleas or not as a preventative. I use small animal flea powder every month and just put some on the back of there necks and brush it through this way they are less likley to lick it off.

Awww, poor Panzy :( I hope his little jumping friends leave him soon! :lol:

Awww, Does your daughter want to come and read to Sophie?! It might stop her from chewing my carpet! :roll: :wink:

She would deffo come round and read to Sophie if you lived closer don't you worry, :wink:

And HS my daughter is wonderful and you sound as soft as us two!

The injection was probably Ivermectin (Panomec) - this is used for fleas, mites and flystrike.
All the buns should be treated as fleas can hop about just as much as buns can :?
The easiest way to treat for fleas, mites etc is to get either Advantage or Xenex from your vets - this can be done at home saving bun the stress of going to the vets - and we use it here on them a couple of times a year 'cos you never know when a flea may hop across the grass (itch, itch :shock: )
Fleas can be caught from so many things, hedgehogs, birds etc - so it's best to treat for fleas every now and again. Using these methods is far cheaper than three lots of Ivermectin on each bun :shock:
Hope their passengers hop off soon :D

Thanks Jaypoy I will keep that in mind for next time .....As panzy had his first injection today I will carry on with the course, Binky and Bernard will get their first jab on friday. I had a good look at them tonight and I cant see anything on them and their fur looks as good as it usually does. They were so tiny if the vet hadnt pointed them out I wouldnt have noticed them they really did look like specs of dirt and not at all flea like ... guess I was thinking more along the lines of head lice ...... now I bet thats got you all itching ...... * typed while scratching ones head*

Oh flip, I am scratching too :shock: Ugh, headlice :shock: Did you know that buns can get lice :?: It's true :shock:
Sometimes you can tell if fleas are on your buns by looking for black specks, if you see any then pick or brush some out, wet a cotton wool ball and put it on the specks, if they turn red then that is flea muck.
Fleas in rabbits tend to go around the base of the ears, inbetween the space of the ears and along the spine.
Hopefully, they will all be fine soon :D
*runs off to give hair a good brushing to stop the itching :shock: *

scratch scratch scratch :roll: well Im sure they will be knocked on the head pretty soon once jabs start to take effect, will have anoyther look at him tomorrow

does anyone use 'spot on' :?: ...it says use a few drops on the neck and it stops flies, mites and fleas. Is this safe and does it work :?: i'm very worried about nasty bugs hurting my bunnies....

Back