• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh Dear Flystrike

SOAD

Wise Old Thumper
The bunnies have it stacked against them :cry: :cry: :cry:

Fly populations in Britain could soar this century because of climate change, according to a new study.

Houseflies and bluebottles reproduce more quickly in warmer temperatures.

Using computer models, researchers at Southampton University calculated that fly and bluebottle populations could rise by nearly 250% by the year 2080.

Writing in the Journal of Applied Ecology, they warn this might lead to a rise in infections transmitted by insects, including diarrhoeal disease.

"The rate at which they reproduce is closely linked to temperature," said Southampton's Dave Goulson, "particularly the time interval between an egg being laid and that egg turning into a fly.

"At the optimum temperature of around 32C, it's about 12 days; but in cooler temperatures it can take a month," he told the BBC News website.

"Our modelling shows that a small rise in average temperatures of 2-3C would lead to a big increase in the fly population, which is quite alarming."

The period during which flies are around would also lengthen.

Bottom line

A rise in the fly population could lead to a greater incidence of fly-borne disease, such as stomach upset and diarrhoea.

The most common cause of diarrhoea in Britain is Campylobacter, a family of bacteria.

The rate at which flies reproduce should speed up, according the modelling
According to figures from the Health Protection Agency, the number of cases has risen significantly in recent years, from 28,761 in 1988 to 46,178 in 2003.

Flies are thought to transmit the bacteria, either by carrying small quantities of contaminated material on their bodies or by regurgitating or defecating on to food.

Research published earlier this year showed a strong correlation between the reproductive rate of flies and the incidence of Campylobacter infection.

Nature does provide controls on flies and bluebottles, such as spiders and swallows; but Dave Goulson does not believe their populations would be able to increase enough to keep the flies down.

"There are things that we can do though," he said, "such as covering food in the summer, and taking more care with barbecues and so on.

"The other thing is that a lot of flies breed in organic waste which people throw away into their dustbins. If more people composted, the amount of that waste would be reduced."

Two years ago a World Health Organization study concluded that, globally, climate change has the potential to affect the health of millions; for example, through the spread of disease-carrying insects.

_40868580_flyspl203.jpg

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4304934.stm

/

the scariest thing for this planet is the uncontrolled breeding and short-sighted behaviour of one species..and that's us I'm afraid. Mankind.... the species with the biggest intelligence who chooses to act so stupidly. :(

hi

Am I right in thinking it's just the big bluebottle flies that cause flystrike, or do smaller flies do it too?

EEEEEEEEEEK that fly photo reminds me of the Icky Geoff Goldblume film THE FLY. He still looks like a fly to me in ALL his films :lol: :lol:

Has anyone ever used Genitrix Insecticidal Xenex Ultra Spot On from the vets.

hi

So after much searching and linking to decompostion sites and vet sites - yuk - I have the answer!! Flystrike is caused by blowflies - blue or green bottles as they known in the UK - There is also a black form of these big flies...House flies and their maggots - the pesky black, smaller flies, feed on poo (or on our dinner) - So no need to worry about house flies unless your rabbit is caked in poo on its bum, in which case you would be taking precautions with rearguard probably - Bluebottles are attracted to dead meat, but greenbottles are attracted to the damp areas around a rabbit's groin, if they are not good at keeping clean, or are housed on very dirty litter. These are the flies whose maggots are capable of breaking through healthy skin - there doesn't need to be a wound for them to get into your rabbit.

The good news is that these big flies are easy to spot indoors - they drive me nuts and usually if you open the door wide they will fly straight out again - they seem to want to go, whereas houseflies seem to want to fly aimlessly around the light fitting in the middle of the room for ever :x

I have noticed that blue and greenbottle flies will overwinter in houses though - they get drowsy when the weather cools down and search for somewhere to sleep - I've found them in January in the tops of curtain headings - the central heating wakes them up again so keep a lookout for them in cracks around your house and shed.

The only other flies I've really noticed are fruit flies, like tiny houseflies - which I guess are harmless.

Found a good vet website with advice on flystrike too
http://www.darwinvets.plus.com/rabbits/flystrike.htm

I also found an article about a similar blowfly (screw worm fly) which is native to the US and south America only - There have been heavy losses of livestock in Iraq due to the mysterious :?: appearance of this fly in recent years - There was a vaccine for it, but the US bombed the factory in Sudan which produced it, in 1998, claiming it was also producing biological weapons.... :? The truth about flystrike in rabbits is far easier to find.

Thanks for that info, I have been wondering which flies just have to be killed. There are loads of small flies in my shed, plus the odd big one. I usually hunt down the big ones with the swatter, its good to know that that is the right approach. I'll be on the look out for green ones especially now. I have seen the black ones too, really big they are I killed one in the shed an hour ago. Do they cause it too, or is it mainly the green ones?There are as many flies today as there have been all summer :? I wish we could have one really cold night and kill them off.

flies

Yeah I know what you mean only today I went to clean out one of my hutches which my bunny precious (he,s the lilac fawn in my sig) likes to sit in & he had 4 flies on him :( he is not ill nor does he have a dirty bottom & they were on his head & back :( I had to spray him all over with blofly repel & then comb him out just to make sure that they hadn,t laid any eggs (UUURRRGGHHH) on him :( I will be doing this again soon as a precaution :evil:

WE've brought one of those Scratch&Newton Hutch Snuggle with a bye-bye fly screen, Although we brought it at the end of summer so have not used it yet. Anyone used these before, and how useful are they.

Loppyju said:
Has anyone ever used Genitrix Insecticidal Xenex Ultra Spot On from the vets.

Hi, I used Gentrix spot on when it first came out. I used it for a bad case of mites. My rabbit had a serious allergic reaction to it and collapsed. I rushed him into the vets. He was completely floppy and not responding at all and his skin was red and swollen where the spot on was used. He was put on a drip and given emergency treatment and thankfuly after intensive care did recover. My vet contacted the company for help but they were of the attitude that a small percentage of bunnies may have a reaction but overall it is safe to use. And yes I suppose we all take a risk putting chemicals on our animals. Also my vet had a few animals at that time that had similar reactions to the treatment and they decided not to continue using it.
I use Stronghold now if needed and have had no problems with that.

I have just ordered a big pack of old-fashioned flypapers on Ebay. My rabbit house has a big tall roof (it's designed for chickens) so I intend to hang them along the inside.

I used to find them very effective when I had a conservatory that always used to get flies stuck inside, so am hoping they will work equally well in my rabbit house. You will need to hang them well up out of the way of the rabbits, of course, but they are just sticky - they don't have any insecticides in, so if the bunnies do get hold of them the worst they should be able to do is get a bit messy.

Back