• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Long toenails

Bunny Lover

Young Bun
Hello

My two buns live indoors with me and as they are running about on carpet all the time, their nails don't get worn down and so I have to take them to the vet to be clipped.
Does anyone clip the nails themselves or have any ideas of how to wear them down as I don't like taking them to the vet all the time as it stresses them out. :(
They have a big run outside with part of it as concrete to help their nails but to be honest I don't put them outside much as they hate it!! :?
Whenever I put them outside they just run in their hutch and sit there in a ball until I come out and collect them again!
Any ideas for keeping their nails short are much appreciated.
Thankyou,
Rebecca

Glad to see my ex foster buns Bumble and Pebble about on here!!

You can always cut them yourselves which will save the stress of taking them to the vets, you will probably need the help of your other half to do so. If you are ever in our area do pop in and one of us will go through it with you.

There are lots of threads about doing it, these threads ones may give you ideas.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=5694&highlight=nail+clipping

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/tam/viewtopic.php?t=7404&highlight=nail

Janice

If there is someone on here in your area who cuts their own rabbits, why not get one of them to show you and supervise you.

Janice

I cut my rabbits nails myself as she also lives indoors and although goes 'free range' in the garden when the weather is good, doesnt really waer down the nails much. I put a towel on the garden tabel, sit her on it and wrap it round so its snug and she can't wriggle too much and clip the nails. She's so used to it now its not a problem, but for her, being wrapped in a towel makes her feel more secure.

HTH :)

Hi i work in Godstone very near edenbridge ! Your so lucky to live there. my fave place ever is Hever castle ! But back on to the subject at hand ... I cut mady's nails for the first time on my own today. normally my husband cuts while I hold her, but I thought I would try it myself. Mady seems to let me do more things like that to her rather than my hubby, I think just cos i spend more time with her and hold her and she trusts me.
My advice would be to take it slowly to build up trust with you and your bun. I have a breakfast table at home and find it easier to put her on that under a towel and she goes on that when she is brushed, nail cut, general look at her to check she's ok, and any meds or cream that she may need. If you have a slightly high place like a breakfast bar put your bun on that for a little bit everyday so they can get used to it, have a stroke and a cuddle, maybe brush her/him etc. I asked the pet shop the best clippers to get as my friend said she did tried to cut her bun's nails once and it all went a bit wrong and bloody - not good :( . Our clippers have a guard so you can only go a certain way down the nail and then the clippers stop you going any further. I always cut slightly longer than your think, you can always cut them more regularly ratehr than harming your bun.

are your rabbits nails black or white ? if they are white they are easier to see where to stop , but if they are black its more of a guessing job and therefore maybe you should ask your vets advice before trying to cut them yourself. or you might have to get the vet to carry on cutting them. i know what you mean though - it seems like a needless task stressing them out going all the way to the vets to pay for them to ahve their nails cut when you could do it yourself. Just take it slowly.

Hi, I cut Squidgy's nails myself. He's only a very little boy, so it's quite easy to do this. He's got black nails, so I generally go by the line of the fur and never cut below that. As Madysmummy says, better to little than too much. I ssue the Mikko clippers and find them really good.

Thanks all, that's really helpful :)

I will go and buy some nail clippers and try it at home. The ones with a guard sound like a great idea as I don't want to cut too far :shock:
They have white nails which sounds like it'll make it easier. After Bumble had his tooth out we had to give him medicine and we wrapped him in a towel for that so hopefully he'll be a bit used to it!

They are very friendly with us and although they don't like being picked up, hopefully once they're in the towel they'll feel more secure.

Will let you know what happens!!!

i've been able to do bob's nails myself, as he has to stay in a cage most of the time and he doesn't get as much time on hard surfaces. i bought a pair of clippers at the pet store for them. his claws are clear/ white, and i can see what would be raw if i clipped too close. i've done that about three or four times since i've gotten him, and even though he struggles a bit when i do, it is quite easy to do. i just hold him gently, and he squirms a bit, but not too badly.

Back